Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Maf
Fixkick, I surrendered that MAF to your site, you may decide its destiny, if it helps a fellow trackick owner then cheers to that!
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c
all on a cold engine.
ouch, cant even rev, it up. the normal output for idle is. 1.7
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks again , If I had any of those types of problems would it run
not too bad like they do in limphome? It will start cold,warm or hot and plugs are burning ok when old maf installed and cel 34 lit With new one installed it starts missfiring so bad, plugs will come out black. This thing is keeping me awake at nite, or early morning, I'm going to try to get another hour sleep. Thank You PS I just went ouside, it's in low 40s accoring to weather channel anyhow Tracker started instantly and sounds good except that it has the old maf installed and cell 34 lit. Now I go for that 1 hour of sleep-I'm going to need it. Good Nite or Good Morning,
is the car stock, no CAI bs? stock air cleaner, stock maf mounts ,etc.? (not installed backwards as CAI allows) sorry if obvious.

(05-02-2013, 05:49 PM)TRACKERHACKER Wrote: Thanks again , If I had any of those types of problems would it run (sure if cam retarded. just real badly)
not too bad like they do in limphome?
by run you mean more that idling and shaking? run as in fly up a hill or drive 100 miles?
I can break 5 majors on this EFI and it will run, but can't deliver milk. go GG, no grocery getter.
Lots of guys run off road with the MAF unplugged, it runs, wastes lots of fuel but runs.
but it runs real good with MAF unplugged. then yes, that would seem that compression ok and spark ok. sure.
but you can still test that clone maf. like this. below this is typical china junk sold. huge sellers.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-MASS-A...dd&vxp=mtr

It will start cold,warm or hot and plugs are burning ok when old maf installed and cel 34 lit With new one installed it starts missfiring so bad, plugs will come out black.
the old maf, slams the ecu in to limphome (failsafe) and the ECU then MIMICS the MAF. in your case ,it seems the crummy MIMIC
beats out the China MAF.
try a good used maf, then the answer is there, a real , Mitsubishi? IIRC, maf, with 58B00 on the side.

This thing is keeping me awake at nite, or early morning, I'm going to try to get another hour sleep. Thank You PS I just went outside, it's in low 40s accoring to weather channel anyhow Tracker started instantly and sounds good except that it has the old maf installed and cell 34 lit.
Now I go for that 1 hour of sleep-I'm going to need it. Good Nite or Good Morning,

i gets down to cash. (the prefect Suzuki Conundrum ,if ever there was)
Suzuki dealer maf $1000 + (this fact puts fleabay in the lime light, OMG, really?)
Cardone rebuild $233.00 delivered (sold on fleabay too) (best of best , right, its real, its rebuilt by pros and has a warranty)
Quote:1 Year / 18,000 mile
a used maf $50-100 ? (id buy one and ask seller for no DOA for 3day test) 2nd choice in my book.
china wonder maf $100 , most of feabays mafs are all china clones i see, cept the dirty ones.

lets ponder a china feabay warranty, if this MAF fails, ill give you another bad one. repeat , forever.

can be 2 problems.. not so rare this , on such an old car. (I always expect extra failures.) (like IAC stuck closed)
I also expect , you fix one bad part. and that uncovers 2 more. bad failures. (air leaks, dead IAC, ISC and leaking EGR)

TEST 1: the forced leak. (this helps work around that fibbing MAF)
the way to test this maf (rich stalling motor) is to create an air leak in the plenum then open the throttle (after this act cures misfire)
and see if he china maf can read 3v at high RPM. i bet it cant. i bet there is no CASH BACK, on china mafs.
Your maf shows excess air. at 500 rpm. so to fool EFI we, add that fibbing air. we create it, this correct AFR issues and motor now races fast.
HOW>?
see engine see plenum box on top of intake runners. in below photo? see the 2 nipples up top and front for VSV1 and 2?
Meter backprobing CHINA MAF. pin 2.
person 1 starts car. person 2 does this.

pull both VSV lines at the front leading edge of the plenum (this causes illegal fresh air to suck in) this forces leaner, the misfire abates, so rpm rises ,
and you grab the throttle and see how high the mAF can go. (testing a maf on car that is causing a massive flood, is not easy)
that is the only test. baring a flow bench or using a shop vac.
16v
[Image: 16v-engine93w.jpg]

Test2:
now we do the shop vac. tests. (mines gota 8 amp motor "powerful")
remove the maf, from car. (just both ends or just the pipe to the rear of the maf. the suck side.
leave it electrically plugged, in. (3 pin conn)
using duct tape put shop vac on the far side, engine side, of MAF the side that the arrow is pointing, that is engine side, and suck side.
next key on. (no start) maf has power.
test volt meter backprobed to maf pin 2. (output)
what is keyon voltage. 1.0
Thanks again for all the info. Yes this is a stock Tracker except for that dispicable maf. That link, thats the one. I got it good and hot this morning with original failed maf installed. Ran it on and off for a couple of hours and it was running ok like they do in limphome mode--- and then reinstalled china maf. Started it and right away rpms very low , I tried to bring it up to 800 a couple of times. it was hard to do cause it didn't want to stay running, started misfiring and made a mess of all the plugs. It happened really quick but I think I saw a 2.38 volt and a 2.48 volt reading while fighting to bring it up to 800 rpm. I've got some plugs to clean. so I can go for a ride and clean out combustion chambers Thank You
i like that word despicable , im so sorry that you get to clean the sparks over and over. that must really suck swamp gas.
to the clone maf , daffy says.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...DBOU#t=18s

btw , alot of times, you contact the seller and tell him , it's no good , and they just refund you. so they dont get negatives.
he probably buys them in lots in 1000 for $15 each, i see the china links for that.
Awsome, I love that youtube video. I just watched it 8-10 times and put it in my favorites. It was the first time I laughed or even smiled today. Thanks, I needed that. About 16 seconds into it when it first shows Daffy, thats how I've been looking lately or maybe just more-so lately. I cleaned them again, it totaly sucks swamp gas!!! and took it for a ride - that good old limphome MPG. What happened to that Kick next to your sign in ? Thank You
so maf , orig, dead, is 15mpg (limp mode)
and china maf it 10mpg (insufferable, despicable, maf)
no sign, is fast post.

id try to find a used, good maf.

what is happening , is you start car, and it goes so rich , the ECU can not correct, this, in fact it believes the high maf reading and just injects like mad.
gorkys, had a sweet spot, that a certain throttle angle , allowed the fuel mix to almost hit good, in fact it ,would go closed loop for an instant ..

later here:
i looked at it and saw the hot wire was dead. almost zero current. 10x less than normal, and then saw the wiring error.
it seems your MAF is worse. (assuming not 2 failures. like high fuel pressure)

The guy at motormagzine.com Mr. warn, one time, used a pot and 5vdc supply and built a MAF simulator, his sidekick buddy, became a human MAF.
he drove and buddy , turned the knob , to simulate a good mAF, and saw the car ran perfect. He did this so he did not charge the customer $500 for 1 part
turned out the maf was bad. One of their best published verticals. (same trick works for MAPs too)

there are only 2 ways to fool the ECU (3 with failsafe)
1: add air to match the lie (maf lies)
2: simulate the maf.

good luck to you,

quick reply
this part is what replaces the Venturi and main jet in a carb.
imagine someone drilled the carb main jet out 100% or more. like the jet, this device must be accurate.
but the jet costs $5 and the maf $230 rebuilt.
Insufferable -thats the one. This maf issue has become insufferable. A good used maf sounds very good right now. What won't sidekick buddies do? Mutating into a human maf, Awsome. Thank You
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?...6969709693
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c