Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'91 Sammy runs rough
Hey guys, good to be here. I have a '91 Sammy that is mostly stock, better bumpers and tires and a short top is about it. Pretty rusty but I use it on my 5 acres to run between the house and the shop, pick up dead limbs, pull the sand drag on the driveway, etc. It's a fine little buggy for my needs.

Recently it's begun running rough (fresh plugs sometimes helps a little) so I took off the TPS and sprayed fader lube into it and put it back and for a day or so it was perfect then started acting up again. BUT, it idles just fine and from what I've read that doesn't sound like a bad TPS.

It does have an engine light and I do have a scanner, but I haven't figured out how to hook it up to the sammy to read codes.

OK, that's about it, y'all can pile on now.

Jim
(05-18-2023, 01:54 AM)Jim Blackwood Wrote: Hey guys, good to be here. I have a '91 Sammy that is mostly stock, better bumpers and tires and a short top is about it. Pretty rusty but I use it on my 5 acres to run between the house and the shop, pick up dead limbs, pull the sand drag on the driveway, etc. It's a fine little buggy for my needs.

Recently it's begun running rough (fresh plugs sometimes helps a little) so I took off the TPS and sprayed fader lube into it and put it back and for a day or so it was perfect then started acting up again. BUT, it idles just fine and from what I've read that doesn't sound like a bad TPS.

It does have an engine light and I do have a scanner, but I haven't figured out how to hook it up to the sammy to read codes.

OK, that's about it, y'all can pile on now.

Jim

hello and welcome;'  (TBI throttle body injected SammI)
CEL lamp glowing they go to limphome mode and run rich and foul spark plugs.

the   ECU is OBD1 , no scan tools fit it , sold in stores, yes the GM Tech1 scan tool can scan  this OBD1, but is rare to find now. and connects to  ALDL SDL SERIAL PORT.
but does have   DlcL jack , jumper to get CEL flash code from 12 to 53 or sow. 12 = no codes set)
here is the simple wiring this year,  see ecu pin A3 blue/yell,.  jumpered to ground is DIAG blink out mode

http://fixkick.com/sammi-stuff/late-sammi-efi-94.jpg

suzuki  loves to move the DLC<to 3 or 4places under the hood,just for fun and for Hiroshima.(grin)

DCL= diagnostic logic connector,
it many look like the Vitara 91
jump  B TO C,   paperclip unbent, metal  only clips

[Image: fed-car-diag.jpg]

The 1989-95 1.6L TFI and MFI engines use a diagnostic monitor coupler, which is located in the engine compartment near the battery
THE WIRE COLOR IS KEY TO FIND ing this connector,  on new car had rubber cap. DLC>
http://www.fixkick.com