Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeve repair kit, rear crankshaft for J series motor?
I found the source of the rear main seal leaking on my J23 engine in my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport.

It looks like I put a gouge on the crankshaft trying to get the leaking main seal out and didn't know it, which is why the 
seal I just put in leaked.  I thought I was careful and 

There has to be a sleeve repair kit for the rear crankshaft for this motor.  I can only find online one for the front.

I need to pull out calipers to measure but one has to exist.
(06-10-2019, 07:05 AM)thebanjoman Wrote: I found the source of the rear main seal leaking on my J23 engine in my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport.

It looks like I put a gouge on the crankshaft trying to get the leaking main seal out and didn't know it, which is why the 

There has to be a sleeve repair kit for the rear crankshaft for this motor.  I can only find online one for the front.

that is not good news.
sleeves are not sold for all things on cars, front of cranks sure. is common on all cars, all top bearing seal makers sell them,. (less today)
I  use Crocus cloth ( the finest sand paper on earth) is called that, it is more like polishing rouges... a painted canvas. 
some sellers today call it that and are liars, 800grit is not it,  the cloth feels to the touch as more painted like, with ROUGE. it IS NOT SAND at all nor does it feel like SAND)
that scratch will look like 2 teeth on a FILE.  BUT AT 5000 RPM (LOL) cuts anything it touches.
the trick if any, is remove the 2 teeth from that scratch, the scratch will look like this : U . (a section view of scratch)
so remove those 2 teeth from the cut scratch only.  not easy to do but may work.
http://www.fixkick.com
(06-11-2019, 11:10 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:05 AM)thebanjoman Wrote: I found the source of the rear main seal leaking on my J23 engine in my 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport.

that is not good news.
sleeves are not sold for all things on cars, front of cranks sure. is common on all cars, all top bearing seal makers sell them,. (less today)
I  use Crocus cloth ( the finest sand paper on earth) is called that, it is more like polishing rouges... a painted canvas. 
some sellers today call it that and are liars, 800grit is not it,  the cloth feels to the touch as more painted like, with ROUGE. it IS NOT SAND at all nor does it feel like SAND)
that scratch will look like 2 teeth on a FILE.  BUT AT  5000 RPM (LOL) cuts anything it touches.
the trick if any, is remove the 2 teeth from that  scratch, the scratch will look like this : U . (a section view of scratch)
so remove those 2 teeth from the cut scratch only.  not easy to do but may work.

I hit it with some fine emory cloth to the gouge and then went with 1000 grit wet sand with oil  I think I got it in as good a shape as I could and used an OEM Suzuki seal.  We'll see how I made out.    

If It holds together OK, it if doesn't I will consult a machinist and get a redi-sleeve the proper diameter and cut it down to fit.  I hope she stays together.