Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reardoor will not open
We have a '94 sidekick 5 door.  The rear door will not open for some reason.  You can lock and unlock with the key but the handle seems to be stuck. Strangely, there is no lever on the inside of the door!   I have exposed the lock mechanism from the inside and pulled/pushed the lever(s) that I can reach (not easy for an old tubby guy).  No luck so far.  Before I cut open the inside door around the lock, can anyone give advice on how to open this stuck door mechanism?  Thanks.

ps: I've removed and repaired 3 of the 4 regular side door locks - they all needed new little compression springs to get things working again...
(07-17-2019, 02:43 AM)Pavel14 Wrote: We have a '94 sidekick 5 door.  The rear door will not open for some reason.  You can lock and unlock with the key but the handle seems to be stuck. Strangely, there is no lever on the inside of the door!   I have exposed the lock mechanism from the inside and pulled/pushed the lever(s) that I can reach (not easy for an old tubby guy).  No luck so far.  Before I cut open the inside door around the lock, can anyone give advice on how to open this stuck door mechanism?  Thanks.

ps: I've removed and repaired 3 of the 4 regular side door locks - they all needed new little compression springs to get things working again...

ok sure ,it be illegal to have read hatch lever in side car,   imagine kids there, oops.  in fact most these cars have this hidden, 2 rear door kids lock....

that is wrong is the latch has a rusted lever in the lock if you look there are 2 active levers , one for key and one for lever, the  lever is rusted there.
only fiix is :
1: lost of rust penetrating oil.
2: brute force from, inside car, door cards off , and at the toggle arm that goes to the outlide lever, attack only the toggle, or use heat on it with heat gut first but some plactic there will melt.
so, heat may be a bad idea here.

you are right the most hard lock is here, hands down.
find a shop and get them to free it up?
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks "fixkick". The vehicle is on a remote island - no shops anywhere near...besides, I've found that this sort of a problem doesn't get solved by so-called professional mechanics in most cases.

I've squirted "Deep creep" and WD40 in there several times but really have no idea if the oil is getting where it needs to go. I'll try again and also have a go from the outside.

What would happen if i took the screws out that hold the mechanism on the inside of the door? Sometimes that approach can make things worse...

I won't get back to the vehicle for another week or two.

Cheers, Pavel.
you door will not open so access is super limited, and the lock does not like getting tampered with, unless door is opened first.
all you can do I think is break the rust free,
one trick is using some minor heat, use heat gun or old hair dryer (heat gun)
heat it up , and stop that, and use spray lube now, so that as it cools the oil sucks in to the rust bound lock.
what new spare one can do progressive inside, car and door shell progressive destrution, until it is only a bASE shell and levers inside are now free, and free to pry.
grind or drill out all those pin rivet and split the sucker top to bottom. (Drimmel tool or use drill bits, and drill it to skeleton and then rip it to pieces, total destruction of forward lock wall , steel. this will work but is tedious but all old cars are.

i think the spare lock path is best, here. wrecking the old one, fully, from inside.
OK, will try your heat trick, with cold oil spray. Thanks.
(07-17-2019, 02:43 AM)Pavel14 Wrote: We have a '94 sidekick 5 door.  The rear door will not open for some reason.  You can lock and unlock with the key but the handle seems to be stuck. Strangely, there is no lever on the inside of the door!   I have exposed the lock mechanism from the inside and pulled/pushed the lever(s) that I can reach (not easy for an old tubby guy).  No luck so far.  Before I cut open the inside door around the lock, can anyone give advice on how to open this stuck door mechanism?  Thanks.

I too have a 94 sidekick and was having issues opening the rear door. This is just my experience and may not be the same as yours but I kept pulling on the outside lever and it would not open the door. I found that the plastic handle was cracked half way through and would give you the feeling that you were pulling it but because the crack would not actually retract. I opened up the back Panel on the inside of the door And pulled on a horizontal bar close to the locking mechanism and pooped the door open. Then I was able to replace the plastic handle.
it is not strange, they dont want a lawsuit for kids opening rear door, moving and then getting run over.

the rear cargo is for non humans cargo.

even the side doors rear have child locks that do same render rear doors, dead. inside.

the lock simply rusted and jammed.  they that this old, all do mostly, if up north.

it is for sure broke, and needs to be replaced. as you well know.

removing the inside ,rear door card, and that gets you access.  not easy with door locked. sure.

then attack it from there. the levers can be moved from inside .

sure the lock lever breaks if the lock jam sure. (forced)

this is one of the most hard jobs on this car, not lubricated, every year. (worse is heater core, out)

what will be ,well be, sure spring sure the 2 plastic clips and rust, lots of that, and jams.
[Image: onMHjAR]

[Image: LBjsrZM]

https://imgur.com/LBjsrZM

https://imgur.com/onMHjAR
Thanks fixkick and Von.  I'll look for the "horizonal rod" and get some lubrication in there somehow.  As you can imagine, I can't get to the vehicle because of travel restrictions (the vehicle is on an isolated island and the locals don't want anyone coming there from "the big city")... all understandable of course.  I have a new little flexible LED light that is very bright - that might help too.  The biggest impediment is getting my large carcass into the tight area behind the seats... it is long past time for me to slim down 30 or more pounds (and to regain some flexibility)!

All the best - stay close to dogs and Suzukis and far from non-family people!  Cheers, Pavel.
THE REAR SEAT REAR CUSHION UNBOLTS AND AND COMES OUT.
SEATS OUT ARE NOT HEARD,

yes crazy times, hope it does not repeat, every year Kungflu.
(05-09-2020, 05:41 AM)fixkick Wrote: THE REAR SEAT REAR CUSHION UNBOLTS AND AND COMES OUT.
SEATS OUT ARE NOT HEARD,

yes crazy times, hope it does not repeat, every year Kungflu.
Now that would help... will remove the rear seats.  Thank you!

Pavel up north