Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTC P1410
My CEL is on.  My code reader indicates the DTC is P1410.  How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

PS - my vehicle is a 1999 Chevy Tracker with the 1.6 liter, 4WD, and a manual transmission.  Its the base model. 

PPS - my fundamental problem is my wife will not ride in the car with the CEL on!
(12-28-2021, 05:51 AM)Joe Tracker Wrote: My CEL is on.  My code reader indicates the DTC is P1410.  How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

PS - my vehicle is a 1999 Chevy Tracker with the 1.6 liter, 4WD, and a manual transmission.  Its the base model. 

PPS - my fundamental problem is my wife will not ride in the car with the CEL on!
Well lets look that up.
that P1 code means factory only codes, not Federal USA codes P0 (pee  zero)
that means only your 1999 shop manual chevy covers this;.
my96 shows fuel tank pressure system (vague)  i had 2004 too v6 , and lots of books here, real.
i am looking now,99 chevy tracker, data.
  • DTC P1410 Fuel Tank Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit
how old my jeep is doing the same things, evap failure slow leak,  so i bought a new gas cap
this is EVAP code in your,  fuel tank venting is failing its leak down test.

actions,  tighten the gas cap fully , then with scan to reset the DTC errors and drive it see if it comes back if fuel is not leaking to road the car is in no danger.
9 of 10 times the cap is loose ,then bad cap .
the rest failing beyond that is a huge task to find, smoke machines and all that jazz

pasted:
The tank pressure control valve is operated by a vacuum signal from the evaporative emission (EVAP) tank pressure control valve. The EVAP tank pressure control valve is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM opens the tank pressure control valve when the engine is running and the fuel level is within a specified range. The tank pressure control valve opens in order to allow the unrestricted flow of fuel vapors from the fuel tank to the EVAP canister. The DTC P1410 diagnostic monitors the circuit voltage of the EVAP tank pressure control valve .
The ignition is On or the engine is running.
The PCM does not detect the expected voltage in the valve control circuit with the fuel level more than a specified value when the diagnostic runs.
  • The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 2 consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information is stored in the Freeze Frame buffer.
  • The MIL turns off after 3 consecutively passing trips without a fault present.
http://www.fixkick.com
(12-28-2021, 08:55 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 05:51 AM)Joe Tracker Wrote: My CEL is on.  My code reader indicates the DTC is P1410.  How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your help!

Well lets look that up.
my96 shows fuel tank pressure system (vague)  i had 2004 too v6 , and lots of books here, real.
how old my jeep is doing the same things, evap failure slow leak,  so i bought a new gas cap

actions,  tighten the gas cap fully , then with scan to reset the DTC errors and drive it see if it comes back if fuel is not leaking to road the car is in no danger.
the rest failing beyond that is a huge task to find, smoke machines and all that jazz

pasted:
The tank pressure control valve is operated by a vacuum signal from the evaporative emission (EVAP) tank pressure control valve. The EVAP tank pressure control valve is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM opens the tank pressure control valve when the engine is running and the fuel level is within a specified range. The tank pressure control valve opens in order to allow the unrestricted flow of fuel vapors from the fuel tank to the EVAP canister. The DTC P1410 diagnostic monitors the circuit voltage of the EVAP tank pressure control valve .
The PCM does not detect the expected voltage in the valve control circuit with the fuel level more than a specified value when the diagnostic runs.
  • The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 2 consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information is stored in the Freeze Frame buffer.
  • The MIL turns off after 3 consecutively passing trips without a fault present.
I bought a new gas cap and then reset the DTC so the CEL was extinguished.  But when I drove the car, the light came back on with the same DTC - P1410.  I checked the solenoid that opens to allow vapor from the EVAP canister to flow into the intake and it passed the test wherein you connect to a 12 volt battery and blow into the hose.  I have not checked the solenoid that opens to allow the vapors from the gas tank to flow to the EVAP canister.  I have a code reader - one you recommended.  Would it help to check for freeze frame data?  Thanks
(12-28-2021, 01:06 PM)Joe Tracker Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 08:55 AM)fixkick Wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Well lets look that up.

pasted:
I bought a new gas cap and then reset the DTC so the CEL was extinguished.  But when I drove the car, the light came back on with the same DTC - P1410.  I checked the solenoid that opens to allow vapor from the EVAP canister to flow into the intake and it passed the test wherein you connect to a 12 volt battery and blow into the hose.  I have not checked the solenoid that opens to allow the vapors from the gas tank to flow to the EVAP canister.  I have a code reader - one you recommended.  Would it help to check for freeze frame data?  Thanks

EVAP FAILURES  beyond the simple cheap fast bad cap fix or , not really tight at the  island pump end.
are very hard to find.  
so hard most shops  use a smoke machine. to find the leak.
vast places to leak there are, vent hoses and all thing in that path, huge.
with car parked the vents are closed 100% all valves closed, if not it fails. ( my last link below shows DUANE , blow testing a valve ( he knows they fail often at 96,000 miles he said.)

1: smoke tests.
2: or put 1PSI pressure in take , and close the valve (a too) and the water + dish soap) spray find the leak.
3: replace all valves 1 by 1 and go broke not doing #1 first,  the problem are these tools are like $1000 cost.  
4: have  a shop find the leak. their tools.

The vents on top of the tank can fail or crack. or rust on top of the tank,  some parts are very thin plastic that crack. and leak.

my jeep tests all this parked,   and the tank is under natural + pressure,  and as the fuel cools (gas laws)  this + pressure lower to the new fuel temperature and the ECU knows what
it must do, pressure wises,  and must hold that(predicted) pressure, or there is leak,  on mine it has a code for tiny, medium and huge leak DTC.
finding it can be a pain. few things are worse.

on mine , all hoses look good, and if cap fails,again, I  will replace the , them in statistical order,  at purge valve. new.
1 front and 3  things rear on mine, by stats.

not my jeep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3HvEHnl4Fg

it gets down to time or money.  what to save.  down time wins for most, me  labor time when lazy.  but a smoke machine is great but do  not get confused with normal leaks, key off.

use setting subtitles here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkvoRWCEUs0

end point failure 2018 jeep, just 3 years old and hose cracked,

on my car the rear valve ESIM  on top of  canister is a top fail,

the problem  can be, leaks all, bad valves/sensors or  wiring.  if the connectors all look good must leaks , or valves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174993126604?ha...SwdTthdndO

if you have shop are the  $50 smoke machine, (paint can style) will work or 2 times that one with built in pump. baby oil used.

and this great review

https://youtu.be/Pg4AEe_xWo4?t=186

chp2, really very good, the class room part and last the blow test with lips.

https://youtu.be/oeNqJtwmFw8

the 2nd chapter see him blow test a valve  ( and fails)
things to do.  per FSM too.
1: the fuel gauge ,must work,  if it lies and show 1/2 empty when full he p01410 test fails (i needs air on top of tank to work correctly
2: full inspection of hoses. evap end to end, for damage or cracks or prior collision or road hazazd damage under car.
3: make sure no damage to wires on the  fuel tank pressure sensor circuit.  (this is how the evap is tested, using tank fume pressure.
4: fsm page....  I just did this on my jeep and it passes this test.(lips)
Disconnect the EVAP tank pressure control solenoid vacuum valve vacuum hoses from the intake manifold and from the vacuum pipe.

Blow air into the EVAP tank pressure control solenoid vacuum valve vacuum hose that was disconnected from the vacuum pipe. Air should not pass through the EVAP tank pressure control solenoid vacuum valve and exit from the intake manifold hose.

[Image: 542_99evap.jpeg]

The PCM reads the tank fuel fumes (air) pressure, while moving ,hot engine, cruise, closed loop engine, (no other DTC stored or live)
the #9 above (and my jeep) I removed mine and blew and sucked both ends and it did not leak.

ok found you the full dawning of your g16 99 evap.

[Image: 541_99evapall.jpeg]

the EVAP canister vent valve #9 is usually open but is closed by the PCM when checking for any leakage. (so must not leak air, when closed) testing is easy for just that.
the TPC secrets #1 above is cover here,  a 1 psi reg.
  tank pressure control or TPC, #3 IS  VACUUM CONTROL NIPPLE. and opens valve 100% , when closed, Oriface A limits flow max and is a 1PSI regulator to tank.
that 1PSI rule is what the test is looking for p0410

https://fixkick.com/sensors/EVAP/Evap-testing.html
[Image: PRV.jpg]

wow i have tank sensor voltages too there. at LINKed page. just above.
the TPC car parked is a 1 psi fume pressure regulator, , if working now, the TANK on  warm day rises to 1PSI pressure. (CAP removed at filler and  hear whoossh sound bingo for 1psi.
the TPC is controlled. by device 12 green drawing (+PCM) 
when driving NORMAL  and moving hot engine, in closed loop, the TPC VALVE opens fully. sending all fumes to CANister.
then the PCM wants to do what i called he evap monitor p01410?  TEST . next.

(DTC test now)   after normal cruising it does this. test.
what does THE PCM do  NOW...?

tank FUEL GAUGE sensor 8 shows not full 3/4 full or less?   (fuel gauge not failing?)
moving hot engine closed loop and it closed #9 and closes #1 TPC via #12 (causing pressure to build, same as when key off parked)
the PCM then takes readings off #7 sensor (PSI EVAP FUME sensor)
if it reads wrong it fails. and stores this DTC ERROR.  (1 PSI IS PASS, WAY LESS IS FAIL) 0 PSI EXAMPLE IS GAS CAP MISSING.

TPC must  not  be stuck  OPEN. ever. for sure now. AT monitor test time evap.

and the green path page 1 above, not breached in any way.
even a 0.040" drill sized hole fails this, even the gas cap seals..

the horrors of EVAP,  
the green fail path is a monster. vast things there can and do fail, HUGE.  22 years old. all seals , hoses ,gaskets, can and do fail .
if TPC is good. #1 , #2 and #9 are all ok,  and new cap,  only smoke machined for say $99 works (diy kits $50)
some shops fear evap work,  so over charge for it $1000 up  + parts. or more $ rusted top of tank as many are. for ages
all valves can be bench tested, and for sure blow tested with lips, as Duanes video shows.(first post)
the bench test 12vdc battery makes that more easy, to test open and closed, all valves solenoids here
and if all that passes,  a smoke machine finds he true leaks, but is a tricky test,  as parked valves are struck open some. or stuck closed, (check carefully)_

the frustration of mechanics is we can not do smoke test moving fast, at DTC p1410 moments.  no can do, and is REAL.

so in a shop  we test the valves and know they work then all that are stuck open parked we plug up, first.
if frisky (fat wallet) replace the valves 1 by 1, cheap to expensive. or smoke test TPC hose to the rear first, if the tool is handy.
my jeep has factory smoke injector port, it is so important of test.
the TPC must not smoke on the vacuum nipple port.  use vacuum hand tool  on the nipple here and it must not leak down or the diaphragm  inside is cracked.

one way to inject smoke if TPC is good tested, is to inject, at TPC rear nipple in photo above blowing smoke to the rear, now that finds  the hard cases.

Duane calls testing all valves (benched) is critical thing , as he has no dreams of crawling under car smoking like mad, no fun there, so he tests all valves first.
or replace the HOT listed ones, first (statistics) green drawing part #1, #12 and #9, based on price or if sold in town, as  most are not. Tracker parts are never easy to   buy.
its just 2 things vents fail  or controls fail.
the former is the domain of smoke testing.
(12-29-2021, 11:20 PM)Thanks fixkick! This is fantastic information.  In the meantime the CEL went off!  It appears that when we have warmer weather the light goes off.  Then when it gets cold, the light goes back on.  It will be a few weeks before I can begin troubleshooting.  I will get back to you then. Thanks again! Wrote: the TPC secrets #1 above is cover here,  a 1 psi reg.
  tank pressure control or TPC, #3 IS  VACUUM CONTROL NIPPLE. and opens valve 100% , when closed, Oriface A limits flow max and is a 1PSI regulator to tank.

the TPC car parked is a 1 psi fume pressure regulator, , if working now, the TANK on  warm day rises to 1PSI pressure. (CAP removed at filler and  hear whoossh sound bingo for 1psi.
when driving NORMAL  and moving hot engine, in closed loop, the TPC VALVE opens fully. sending all fumes to CANister.

tank FUEL GAUGE sensor 8 shows not full 3/4 full or less?   (fuel gauge not failing?)
moving hot engine closed loop and it closed #9 and closes #1 TPC via #12 (causing pressure to build, same as when key off parked)
if it reads wrong it fails. and stores this DTC ERROR.  (1 PSI IS PASS, WAY LESS IS FAIL) 0 PSI EXAMPLE IS GAS CAP MISSING.

the horrors of EVAP,  
the green fail path is a monster. vast things there can and do fail, HUGE.  22 years old. all seals , hoses ,gaskets, can and do fail .
if TPC is good. #1 , #2 and #9 are all ok,  and new cap,  only smoke machined for say $99 works (diy kits $50)
some shops fear evap work,  so over charge for it $1000 up  + parts. or more $ rusted top of tank as many are. for ages
all valves can be bench tested, and for sure blow tested with lips, as Duanes video shows.(first post)
the bench test 12vdc battery makes that more easy, to test open and closed, all valves solenoids here
and if all that passes,  a smoke machine finds he true leaks, but is a tricky test,  as parked valves are struck open some. or stuck closed, (check carefully)_

the frustration of mechanics is we can not do smoke test moving fast, at DTC p1410 moments.  no can do, and is REAL.

so in a shop  we test the valves and know they work then all that are stuck open parked we plug up, first.
if frisky (fat wallet) replace the valves 1 by 1, cheap to expensive. or smoke test TPC hose to the rear first, if the tool is handy.
the TPC must not smoke on the vacuum nipple port.  use vacuum hand tool  on the nipple here and it must not leak down or the diaphragm  inside is cracked.

one way to inject smoke if TPC is good tested, is to inject, at TPC rear nipple in photo above blowing smoke to the rear, now that finds  the hard cases.

Duane calls testing all valves (benched) is critical thing , as he has no dreams of crawling under car smoking like mad, no fun there, so he tests all valves first.
or replace the HOT listed ones, first (statistics) green drawing part #1, #12 and #9, based on price or if sold in town, as  most are not. Tracker parts are never easy to   buy.
(01-05-2022, 07:37 PM)Joe Tracker Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 11:20 PM)Thanks fixkick! This is fantastic information.  In the meantime the CEL went off!  It appears that when we have warmer weather the light goes off.  Then when it gets cold, the light goes back on.  It will be a few weeks before I can begin troubleshooting.  I will get back to you then. Thanks again! Wrote: the TPC secrets #1 above is cover here,  a 1 psi reg.

the horrors of EVAP,  

yes it is  a very fragile system (as they age)
the valves can stick  , any of them
i fixed mine by spraying mine last week with silicon spray,  and they unstuck and now work  , 1cent of spray,  
or just the gas cap loose,   or spray the vacuum breaker in the center of the cap with silicon spray oil.

all the best to you and your's   , happy new year too.