Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cruise throttle surge
I have a 95 tracker and at wot and decelerate  it runs smooth and at cruise it seems to either miss or hunt tps. it does it intermittent. I have checked grounds new rotor cap wires fuel filter air filter and added a ground from the battery to the firewall to the engine. I searched this site and found a thread that was sort of the same thing but the engine was a 94 in a sammi. I am guessing it may be an egr issue. is there any way to test my theory. help would be greatly appreciated.
(10-13-2019, 07:39 AM)1995 toad Wrote: I have a 95 tracker and at wot and decelerate  it runs smooth and at cruise it seems to either miss or hunt tps. it does it intermittent. I have checked grounds new rotor cap wires fuel filter air filter and added a ground from the battery to the firewall to the engine. I searched this site and found a thread that was sort of the same thing but the engine was a 94 in a sammi. I am guessing it may be an egr issue. is there any way to test my theory. help would be greatly appreciated.

which engine?  8v or 16valve.?
I  guess you mean it bogs at WOT?   tell what it does driving or eve parked idling, that it does good or bad.
all things matter. for EFI.
what is hunt tps? sorry.
http://www.fixkick.com
surge at cruise, only , can be low fuel pressure or egr sticking or a dirty maf sensor (16v only has mAF)
(10-13-2019, 08:06 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:39 AM)1995 toad Wrote: I have a 95 tracker and at wot and decelerate  it runs smooth and at cruise it seems to either miss or hunt tps. it does it intermittent. I have checked grounds new rotor cap wires fuel filter air filter and added a ground from the battery to the firewall to the engine. I searched this site and found a thread that was sort of the same thing but the engine was a 94 in a sammi. I am guessing it may be an egr issue. is there any way to test my theory. help would be greatly appreciated.

I  guess you mean it bogs at WOT?   tell what it does driving or eve parked idling, that it does good or bad.
what is hunt tps? sorry.

sorry, it is a 16 v... no it runs great on acceleration and deceleration. on steady state cruise it feels like it misses or is skipping back and forth between accelerate and decelerate ( hunt tps) , intermittently. has been getting worse. at idle now it has started not idling consistently. still getting about 25 mpg.
(10-13-2019, 12:05 PM)1995 toad Wrote:

what is hunt tps? sorry.

sorry, it is a 16 v... no it runs great on acceleration and deceleration. on steady state cruise it feels like it misses or is skipping back and forth between accelerate and decelerate ( hunt tps) , intermittently. has been getting worse. at idle now it has started not idling consistently. still getting about 25 mpg.
what is this idle issue, ?
key on CEL lamp glows, then goes out running and stays out , right?
then if you insert the diagnostic jumper in the DLC port,  the CEL flashes out code 12, (good) and not bad codes?
you can even idle engine and see if codes 12s hold.  while idle  is not consistent..

I presume that idle issue is hot engine 180F not cold.?
is hot idle 800rpm? steady, 
does hot idle hold steady, 800 if you turn head lights and heater on high at the same time? (AC off)
can you answer what you have, fully, 1995, 15v, doors 2 or 4, 3/4 or 5 speed transmission (5 if MT) 4wd and 2wd ? and if have AC?
are things under hood still stock? no hacks? no missing parts,? CAT not missing, no so called Cold Air intake follies? with MAF bouncing like mad driving down the street ,and stock air cleaner gone?

on this car, many things can fail this old.
looks like you skipped spark plug, in the tuneup, why? (typo only ) an did you gap them> to 0.028" and not leave them at horrible wrong NGK factory setting 0.045"
clean the MAF , from 8inches far, with cleaner? not dead close sprayed.
clean EGR main valve. if it leaks or sticks nothing but bad happens. it must work and flow properly cruising and when you stop the car the valve must close 100% if not idle will be low, and rough.
Clean ISC valve. (if this sticks idle controls go dead hot)
does coolant reach 180f and hold? thermostat not bad? (they have 7 year life span per maker top brand STANT)
new front 02 sensor? 100k mile life span. and front is very important to AFR. cruising for sure. (afr = air fuel ratio)

got bad gas, is the gas old? if old try Chevron Techron cleaner in the tank,, it's just benzine to clean the injectors better. all 4 on this car.
(10-13-2019, 09:34 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 12:05 PM)1995 toad Wrote:

what is hunt tps? sorry.

what is this idle issue, ?
key on CEL lamp glows, then goes out running and stays out , right?
then if you insert the diagnostic jumper in the DLC port,  the CEL flashes out code 12, (good) and not bad codes?
you can even idle engine and see if codes 12s hold.  while idle  is not consistent..

I presume that idle issue is hot engine 180F not cold.?
is hot idle 800rpm? steady, 
does hot idle hold steady, 800 if you turn head lights and heater on high at the same time? (AC off)

idle issue... wanders around between 1000 and 8 intermittently
cel goes on then off running
haven't done jumper as no cel showing... will check today

Idle issue seems to be cold or hot... just started doing this so I will check when I start it this morning
hot idle is normally 800 steady until recently, lights and fan don't change anything.
thanks for your time.
one can even drive all week with the DLC Diag jumper in place, and see 12 all week and then on moment bam , new code pops.
cold idle can be 1000 to 1500 rpm colder the block that faster.
hot is 800 with all accessories off. (means no AC on this car)
many things cause failed idle regulation.
coolant not hot, 180f.
TPS idle switch not closed, and at 0vdc. if 5vdc idle is cancelled.
air leaks. (aka vacuum leaks from anywhere to the plenum)]
ECU in limp home mode. not 12, means that , mostly.
if way below 800 even 400 , egr main valve leaking like mad.
leaking injector or clogged, may cause low idle speeds. below 800 hot.
misfiring engine, blew 800.
1000 hot, no AC turned on is ISC is off line or stuck open.
or engine super rich and huge vacuum leaks at the same time.
The ECU wants to control idle at 800 hot and aggressively modulates the ISC valve to do that. we see it can do that. only why remains.
(10-13-2019, 09:36 PM)fixkick Wrote: can you answer what you have, fully, 1995, 15v,  doors 2 or 4,  3/4 or 5 speed transmission (5 if MT) 4wd and 2wd ? and if have AC?
are things under hood still stock? no hacks? no missing parts,? CAT not missing, no so called Cold Air intake follies?  with  MAF bouncing like mad driving down the street ,and stock air cleaner gone?

on this car, many things can fail this old.
looks like you skipped spark plug,  in the tuneup, why?  (typo only ) an did you gap them> to 0.028"  and not leave them at horrible wrong NGK factory setting 0.045"
clean the MAF , from 8inches far, with cleaner? not dead close sprayed.
clean EGR main valve.  if it leaks or sticks nothing but bad happens. it must work and flow properly cruising and when you stop the car the valve must close 100% if not idle will be low, and rough.
Clean ISC valve.  (if this sticks idle controls go dead hot)
does coolant reach 180f and hold?  thermostat not bad?  (they have 7 year life span per maker top brand STANT)
new front 02 sensor?  100k mile life span. and front is very important to AFR. cruising for sure. (afr = air fuel ratio)

got bad gas, is the gas old?  if old try Chevron Techron cleaner in the tank,,  it's just  benzine to clean the injectors better. all 4 on this car.
1995 tracker 2 door 16 valve 5 speed 4 wheel drive no ac. added seat heaters and no cat stock filter and air box 
did the plugs also and gapped to 28.
Havent cleaned maf  spray cleaner from 8" away?  do you mean to spray with throttle open?
haven't cleaned the egr  
haven't cleaned the Isc 
need to check temp 
haven't checked o2
run the injector cleaner often... fuel sucks these 
days
(10-14-2019, 06:04 AM)fixkick Wrote: one can even drive all week with the DLC Diag jumper in place, and see 12  all week and then on moment bam , new code pops.
cold idle can be 1000 to 1500 rpm colder the block that faster.
hot is 800 with all accessories off.  (means no AC on this car)
many things cause failed idle regulation.
coolant not hot, 180f.
TPS idle switch not closed, and at 0vdc.  if 5vdc idle is cancelled.
air leaks. (aka vacuum leaks from anywhere to the plenum)]
ECU in limp home mode.  not 12, means that , mostly.
if way below 800 even 400 , egr main valve  leaking like mad.
leaking injector or clogged, may cause low idle speeds. below 800 hot.
misfiring engine, blew 800.
1000 hot, no AC turned on is ISC is off line or stuck open.
or engine super rich and huge vacuum leaks at the same time.
The ECU wants to control idle at 800 hot and aggressively modulates the ISC valve to do that.  we see it can do that. only why remains.
Idle was stable today when cold started missing through warm up idle stayed fine once warm sounds like it is the egr from what you have explained. What does the vacume line do that comes from a valve at the front of the intake and goes through a vacuum  dashpot and is hooked to the egr with the same hose... will clean the egr and se what happens