Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery
What is the maximum life of a battery??
no battery stated, at all, vast types exist. from $50 to $1000 lithium ion versions.
the life will be. based on class and size of battery.
and
stress. (heat is one stress factor huge, as is over cranking and over charging (includes bad alternator doing that)

the most cheap batteries flat say on the sales ads , 3 years, ( why not ask your battery maker this, only their answer matters, due to vast makers, classes, size and type of batteries used, even RV, Boat, deep discharge class and more , endless topic this.

In fact on any car, what part fails first, ? batteries, and brake pads. (or tires)
http://www.fixkick.com
5 to 10???

I get the experience with three batteries for 96 Sidekick Sport 1.8l of only 3 years each!!
Probably short driving takes the toll:"
Thanks for this. When the battery is nearly at the end of its life, the car runs like crap, bogging down and does not idle and die! That is also the experience. So I always mark on the battery the date of purchase the new battery!
all I can guess here is that you dont like 3 year life batteries? (time to upgrade no?)
then wonder why any battery that is bad makes the EFI fail, ? why ask that.? sure it fails, if power is not 13.3vdc to 15vdc running that is a power failure ! why do you expect to work right then,/??? answer not much.\\

example 1: (so very very common this)
well if the battery has 1 cell bad and it is 1cell shorted.. the battery is now 10v battery not 12v (2v/cell ~). (ever use a meter on it? ) parked. and running. voltage matter and is basic test in any shop first.
if one cell is bad and the other 5 cells are super good still the weak engine suzuki only needs about 100amps to crank it up and start, and the new buttery was 500CCA, cold cranking amps rated , 5 times what suzuki needs warm day.
one can see that even some bad batteries, it can crank any tiny engine over and start., gas, not diesel. 100amps is not lot, If you took said battery to any shop or auto store they load test it for free, ending the saga in 1 hours work.

now learn how alternators work? (for SURE with the above bad battery class)
if the ALT sees any battery short even one CELL the ALTERNATOR goes off line. in 1 second flat (no that is good alt and will be ok later, when you get that battery replaced)
it does that due to not wanting to blow the other battery cells to hell.
and causing a huge battery explosion with lots of hydrogen gas..... boom ,see flying acid everywhere.

My guess is you do not understand how alternators work. A running car runs 100% off the ALTERNATOR not the battery , unless it can't per above 1 rule.

sorry the alternator is just too smart to let you do that.
so it (alt) goes off line and voltage main is falling fast. Learn to use a voltmeter and you would have seen that. as the battery voltage falls all cars made go dead, all do. or as this happens you can see misfire.
100% expected.

first misfiring (your bogging)
then loss of all spark or all fuel next and dead car, FORD found on road dead.
all cars do that, when 12v BAT bus fails. end story.
Only the dry batteries are on sale in the market. 

I tell you truly that after putting the new battery, the car runs great, no more bogging down. I did not do anything to the car.
Since I get the scan tool, I have tried to get rid of codes. Now the car runs without codes!!
for most folks, we hear the starter slow, and we know the battery is near end of life. (#1 all time clue there)
some times
we park a car to shop.
and the battery goes to 10vdc (one cell failed) and will not crank, our V6 did that, last month, new BOSCH battery now, not some cheap ones.

all batteries here USA are date stamped. every one, your bat maker can show you how to do that. if you ask them.
Hello Battery Folks,

My 1997 Geo Tracker 1.6L 4WD 4 Dr. battery is circa 2010 ala Costco. Circumstances dictated us being on out of state duties in 2018, whereupon the 84 month old unit was showing it's age and getting somewhat hard to start—even if only at the necessary 100 amps. Yet, when coming back to our Rocky Mts. homestead a bit later, and after sittin' down in local forest-garage with old-timey 'Shelby-Days' 'ICE' racing mech over a beer, he suggested an epsom salt (magnesium chloride) 2.6 oz. solution per cell addition; which we did. [You can get related data on YouTube].

That happened to be 20 months ago, and after reading the preceding thread, just now went outside in the New Years Eve 8000 ft. elevation snow and checked static voltage—just for 'S&G'—and the little 10 year old power device was indicating 12.71 VDC on the DVM. Yeah, can do the professional load test if wanted to tomorow, but as the Irish are given to say: "If it works—don't fix it ..."

'I'm A Believer '...  Happy New Year,
John Patrick
(01-01-2020, 08:01 AM)johnpatrickrincon Wrote: Hello Battery Folks,

My 1997 Geo Tracker 1.6L 4WD 4 Dr. battery is circa 2010 ala Costco. Circumstances dictated us being on out of state duties in 2018, whereupon the 84 month old unit was showing it's age and getting somewhat hard to start—even if only at the necessary 100 amps. Yet, when coming back to our Rocky Mts. homestead a bit later, and after sittin' down in local forest-garage with old-timey 'Shelby-Days' 'ICE' racing mech over a beer, he suggested an epsom salt (magnesium chloride) 2.6 oz. solution per cell addition; which we did. [You can get related data on YouTube].

That happened to be 20 months ago, and after reading the preceding thread, just now went outside in the New Years Eve 8000 ft. elevation snow and checked static voltage—just for 'S&G'—and the little 10 year old power device was indicating 12.71 VDC on the DVM. Yeah, can do the professional load test if wanted to tomorow, but as the Irish are given to say: "If it works—don't fix it ..."

'I'm A Believer '...  Happy New Year,
John Patrick
if you did not keep  that battery on a float charger for 1 year, you come back to a sulfate'd up, battery. (wiki that)
there are vast fixes for this for over 100 years, endless snake oil, too.  
what matters is how long you can go now.  and not get stranded.  a tow cost more than new battery. so.... cost of owning flaky old batteries are poor economy..
what makes you think any 10 year old battery is good.

are you just spamming us?
if it is going to strand you , fix it.

tell me why it will not, love to hear  that. 10 years old.