Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot.
that is a bad sign of any early ECU,
good its 6pin. ECU. DLC , now i know what is there.

8degrees works in calif, all day. 5 on all feds. here.
my 96 engine and a bad crank pulley the rubber damper inside slipped, making spark timing impossible to set, (TDC checks found this horror)
setting the distributor is 2 minutes work, strobe flashing there.

ok that is news.
you never said the 10 minute , im dead tranny symptoms.
that is a bad tranny if the OD flashes,12s.
you need to post all symptoms....

you said drive gear fails, for 10 mins.
well, so Low and 2nd and REVERSE fail too,????,, you didnt try that too.> at failure?

the stall test fails, too cold, you never said that. not once. but the stall test heats ATV SUPER FAST and would hid this failure.
if the car wont move cold by logic, so would the stall test, until the ATF got warm..
the transmission has test called the line pressure test.
if that fails, the trans is bad and will get worse.

hot oil ATF, goes past a filter more easy, so is your filter clean , in bottom of trans?
some times hot oil will make old , seals get soft and seal better, that is overhaul time.

there is a transmission additive sold in all stores, (last resort)
that softens seals, but it also damages them, long term,, but can keep car going for a while.....
(picture in mind, seal softer, working then later melts to junk) but if car never moves and not can move to AMMCO trans shop, this can save towing charges....
I'd never use this snake oil in a trans that works ok hot.

104 pages,
not sure what was done in 104 pages of posts.
not at all, (i helped 1000s on other forums)
water under bridge and all that.

so bad tranny
and maybe fueling issues.

the bad tranny might be slipping when you don't expect it. (or not felt)
slipping can be felt using the TCM pull out connector test.
you drive it and flog all gears, if any gear slips, the tranny is bad. (this is a skill, that takes seat of pants knowledge and close look at RPM dial)

all i can say is the trans is locked in 1 gear (selected), and you try to overload it, if it slips, its bad (low line pressure tops list, next)

the TCM on this car is the dumber kind .
newer cars watch for slip more carefully.
slip burns the clutch packs fast. (will get worse faster, ) if it fact they slip.
TC slip is normal, a learned skill testing, the tech knows the feel of the normal TC slip, (then not slip, when TCC locks up)

The ECU /TCM can see input RPM and tail shaft RPM (speed its called or VSS2) and if it is real bad, the slip it will report this error in DTC form.
The TCM shifts from 2nd to 3rd (say) the TCM sees the RPM drop in the Valid range.
the TCM sets no DTC if the rpm drop is in spec.
Keep in mind the TCM cant see hills, it assume more throttle is used, for hills, and that is OK by TCM rules. and delays shifting.
but of the tranny slips and the tail shaft is too slow, it will not up shift. per the tables posted.
it reads the TPS to see demand, if you use lots of more heavy throttle foot, it will never upshift, util the tail shaft hits the magic table speeds.
if the slip gets worse the TCM will never up shift.
newer cars the load calcs are better, and the TCM can see you load is light but speed not increasing right. or see that the trans slips under light loads.
i think your TCM can not do that magic, until 2000 year. about. a Turn Load based TCM is far better than throttle based.

id fix the tranny first.
for 2 reasons.
1: it fails for 10 mins.
2: and it shifts late, what if fixing #1 fixes #2,,,, luck happens.

how many gear shift locations fail for 10mins.. D, 2, Lo and reverse?

yes, i did not read posts older that October
sorry.
it has june to October gap, so assumed all new issues, my bad.
but im not reading all 104 chapters, omg.

the 10minute thing is a gross error, something not to ignore.

why not do the line pressure tests , stated in the FSM , do it cold and hot. ID BET IT FAILS HARD, the FSM covers this, same rules 1996 4speed,
it's next
and a filter , is this filter 23 years old? sorry i forget.?
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
4sp, car wont move cold. - by fixkick - 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
car wont move cold. - by fixkick - 08-27-2014, 01:54 AM
RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - by fixkick - 10-17-2015, 12:07 AM