Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot.
[quote='zukitrek' pid='3822' dateline='1428941760']
Helo Fix. Long time I have not posted. Hope you are doing OK and your family. Well my 5spd tranny is slipping again in the first start of the morning for at least 10min, then the rest of the day is fine.

I had exactly the same problem with my Dodge van's A-727 automatic. Put it into gear in the morning, and it would sit there, and finally gradually engage reverse. I changed fluid, and filter, but it didn't make any difference.

Turns out that the anti-drainback valve in the torque converter was faulty, and would allow the torque converter to empty itself back into the transmission overnight. Not enough of a leak to drain it during the day, it needed all night to drain.

On the A-727, the fluid only pumps through the torque converter in each gear and in neutral, but NOT in park! The solution was to start the car in neutral, which would immediately fill the torque converter, and by the time you were ready to go, it shifted into gear no problemo.

I drove it for years like that, and never did bother to re and re the torque converter to replace the valve.

Messages In This Thread
4sp, car wont move cold. - by fixkick - 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
car wont move cold. - by fixkick - 08-27-2014, 01:54 AM
RE: A/T 4speed fails, car wont move until hot. - by Kirk - 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM