Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire
I am so glad my page saved you the horror of China crap rotors (dizzy/distrib)
and good, the injectors do not leak, thanks for that feedback./

some scan tools have  O2 plotting mode, or you can log any 1 sensor to a file. using PC. (of any kind)
then with a CSV data log file you can plot the data, in MS office Excel GRAPH.
the crack can leak or not, but what is worse than that is the crack changes as you  drive, and goes wider or less.
causing 2 things, Human CHAOS (wtf factor)
and 02 reads wrong engine goes super rich and misfires.
each engine exhaust putt, goes Positive pressure the hot gasses collapses and go negative pressure and if any crack is near the o2, the O2 goes to 0volts then
the ECU goes max rich, and full LTFT + max rich. (STFT too)

fpr goes to 40psi ( what matters is this)
keyon, 36-43
idle,     30-37 psi.
the most important is (not in the FSM these words are)   it must drop 6 PSI , key on to idle. (hot engine test)
then when you gun the throttle PSI RISES, (almost) by 6psi,  not fully this due to some vacuum remains, at WOT.
yours would 40-6= 34 idle then gunned throttle , try to rise back to 40.  this proves FPR works and I bet yours does, but is a very key part of EFI injection this.
the ECU can not compensate for any bad FPR (they can jam closed or open , and do often this old) good to see yours is new,

MAF is real,  not is GOOD !!!!

ok new crank snout parts, no sure how done but that means new belt to  and timed right, a #4 cylinder firing both valves closed, and not using false marks.
the compression test is next to see if the engine comes back to spec, at sea level 180PSI x4 is very common, for sure warm engine even a bit warm not too hot to work on, 
the compression is bench mark, it tells you ,all steps done right.
Bad spark might be it, ?
I have scope and spark plug HV PROBE and I can see spark plasma.   and see MISFIRES,  the plasma resistance tells me if it was lean or rich misfire. (or weak spark)
but wow you got closed loop at idle.
maybe the coil inside the distributor is bad,  (sadly never seen those for sale , only full rebuilds of the DISTib sold)

MAFs real go lean when dirty all do that, (not china crap MAF they do any crazy thing at all or are just useless wrong)
the hot wire cokes up, as you drive at 30,000  miles or more, then as it gets dirty the AIR flow is under reported. so ECU goes lean on injections and bogs.
Bogging is gross lack of power,  not violent misfire, is your misfire violent?  or is it just like dragging a 2000 POUND dead weight behind the car.
my hit list. (not saying mine is better than yours or ordered correct)
  1. MAF dirty (causes simple lack of power not violent misfire) I'd have the hear the engine or see it shake violently to know.
  2. compression way off. ( vacuum test pass and is very good that) 
  3. SPARK induction coil NO GOOD. if spark shows violent misfire. for sure under engine load(hills)
  4. bad spark wires, I use MAG wires only (sidekick loves them) carbon core and Silicon core are junk short lived or seen even new and bad, lots.
  5. using TDC tool make sure #1 mark on crank matches the tool ( I say this due to snout history and DIZZY clamp slot at the end)
I know your put in new wires but this can be considered, for sure weak spark, found.
BOSCH mag or NKG, are amazing at delivering full suzuki weak spark to the plugs. (the are wire only inside spun , in fact are INDUCTORS)
Suzuki, spark is not HIGH ENGERGY ignition that came way later with COP's. lets call it low energy ignition, wires good, and J-plugs of any kind work.(spec)

yes this is what PUTTs do,   and chaos it can do. this includes the donut gasket at the end of EXH man header end, cracked or loose.

[Image: exhaustscavenging-p1-1.JPG]
At time line B, the crack sucks AIR,  and is 20% Oxygen (sealevel) and that is like 20x what any narrow band O2 can stand, the O2 slams to 0 volts
and ECU sees this as way too lean and goes way to rich, and at very crazy unpredictable times, (cracks change by temperature, thermal expansion etc.)

that is all I can think of now,
Happy Holidays to you and CHEERS to you and all, and friends.

PS: if the misfire is violent please tell me that or fully define to me misfire under all conditions, felt, heard, or seen. and if violent or just is lean burn bog.
lean burn.
1 spark plug misfiring is violent bam bam bam waka.  repeat. 3 good 1 bad cylinder.
all 4 dead is crazy violent (4 good then 4 bad repeat wow violent) (bad spark coil yah)

lean burn all 4 misfire sure, but is  smooth misfire, to witness lean burn ,  pull  the FI fuse running , all fueling ends is 3 seconds and goes LEAN.
feel that witness that and now know why I ask about MR./ VIOLENT present. aka, BOGGING, (a simple gross lost of engine power)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by Behringer - 12-05-2020, 11:56 AM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-05-2020, 09:42 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-05-2020, 09:44 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by Behringer - 12-06-2020, 02:40 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-06-2020, 10:29 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-06-2020, 10:33 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-06-2020, 10:54 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-06-2020, 11:09 PM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by Behringer - 12-07-2020, 06:05 AM
RE: 98 Tracker Sluggish, misfire - by fixkick - 12-07-2020, 06:56 AM