Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV Boot replacement
(10-21-2016, 01:04 AM)Zackman Wrote: Thank you very kindly for your detailed reply, as usual. I ordered the Dorman split type boots (never knew about it - so THANK YOU!).
ok you're welcome !!!

Any comment about my parking brake questions?
I Wrote:
2. The driver side parking/emergency cable does not get activated when the hand-brake is pulled, and thus, does not lock the wheel. Based on your experience, do you think I would be able to release it, or I would have to replace it? I know this is not a fair question, since you cannot see the situation, but I thought, perhaps based on your vast experience, you could shed some light on this issue.

well there are only x causes.
1: the cable is bad, rusting and sticking or is stretched out damage or age. this list is kinda backwards but full , i think.
2: the 2 cables are not balanced (adjusted at lever rear) like the FSM shows. ( please read how to setup brakes in the free book )
3: the brake shoes are wrong, or damage or not connected to the emg. cable end correctly (takes looking) even wrong shoes , are possible, see #6 below.
4: The brake shoes were never adjusted, correctly, per FSM. and one is tight other loose. for sure, shoes are first, type , condition and adjusted.
5: The brake adjusters are no good now ,rusted solid, making #4 impossible. (never seen a vitara/sidekick not damaged here, this old , all are, till i lay hands.... )
6: not running same brand shoes, and model shoes on both sides, and running older brand, left side and newer brand right, that is why they tell you, change shoe on the whole axle (4 shoes in a box, new)
7: keep in mind the adjusters are not all the same 1989 to 2004, so look careful in the book,, make sure the book matches what is on your car and year, some have autoadjusters, the book tells you how to do those too.. (backing up, method)
There are auto adjuster cars and manual only (with rubber plugs to access them, using the drag by hand felt test, and click count adjusted method)

for SURE this is all done from rear to front (center) of car. (did my first one in 1964)

GOOD LUCK !!!
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
CV Boot replacement - by Zackman - 10-20-2016, 09:27 PM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by fixkick - 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by fixkick - 10-20-2016, 10:32 PM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by fixkick - 10-20-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by Zackman - 10-21-2016, 01:04 AM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by fixkick - 10-21-2016, 01:18 AM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by Zackman - 10-21-2016, 01:56 AM
RE: CV Boot replacement - by fixkick - 10-26-2016, 10:23 PM