Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugs have red oily stain and misfire
the gas color is totally in the control of EPA here, and taxes. (both state and fed tax) in places not controlled by these 3 laws, the oil companies are free to do as they best wish.
as you say tint the different octane rated fuels, in S. America we have up to 4 Octane fuels, at the pump,, 1,2,3,4, at the push of a button, so they dont bother creating 4 colors.
farmers here dont pay the road tax. (why would they?)
and Av gas is colored. ( you dont want to get in to a plane with car fuel, right? so its tinted for safety and if you put it in your car, that is illegal here... (if caught)
they do the same on diesel, as if you get caught running #2 heating oil, you go to jail. ! (fines to the max really)

the pump can be tested for cracked diaphram just like all devices with one.
using the hand vacuum pump... at the fuel output port. and the input port blocked. (1/2 minute standard rule. no leaking down......) do it at 8 inches vacuum,.. not 26.

the CVCC head is just more ways to fail.... more valves. more seals to fail.
if the oil is red, in the crankcase , then you have gas in the oil, find it and fix that..... this is a failure unrelated to the spark plug fouling but was the 1st clue.
carb overflow, or fuel pump leaks. (there is no other paths for gas, just 2,, to hit the crankcase)

if the oil is clean. then (drain it out, look at it and put it bacK) or remove filter, drain it, look for RED? and put it back>?
the dip stick end might be red but you already know how it looks.
the engine my now be free of gasoline as it will boil off when driven.. but will be red in color.

once the red oil causes are known, then we can work the head.
if the oil shows no signs of RED. in the crankcase, then all that red is the fuel misfiring in the combustion chamber and building up...
but why is there oil in the combustion chamber, and soaking the spark plug with oil...... that is an other symptom.
1:misfire.
2: oil on spark plug
3: carbon on spark tip insulator (black) bad...
4: red tint in oil, on spark plug...

the chicken and the egg, issues.
what if the spark was bad. (for any reason on this single cylinder only) pick one.... (wire , plug,wrong plug, gapped wrong, bad cap,)
then the spark plug fouls.... usually they just get wet not fouled, from the unburned gas.s, but if the misfire is intermittent or weak it will eventually foul. and not drip oil.
usually its black soot and dripping fuel raw.. (not like yours looks like)

case 2
oil ingress to that cylinder. (combustion chamber) and plug fouls. drips oil. but why is oil red.....

IN the old days of Tetraethyl lead , leaded fuel the spark parts turned red with LEAD. even carb sides turned red them,,,, im showing my age now.... but that is normal. back then.
this is 2015, and we dont have red fuel nor LEAD, but you do.....

if the head is bad. buy a true rebuilt from a pro shop. top shops know how to make this complex head work.
or get a car that has no such magic..... (Toyota )
i read that Honda, hand no car that he CVCC would fit, so tested the new engine in a Nissan, (Dat-sun) now that is funny.
the only true advantages( MPG) and can run leaded fuel, so you can use both in that year) is true. it did when the MPG war then,..... 4 years running.

the honda CCVC allowed honda to pass smog with no CAT 1971+. when the law changes, (tighter) EFI was born. ( but was horrid then due to lack of real microprocessors..)
CCVC costs way more then any CAT. and adds unneeded complexity. )but ran both fuels..!!! some folks at this time hand no unleaded in their towns...

there it is , just lots more parts to fail or leak or leak oil.
[Image: large-10.jpg]

evidence,. to diagnose any car, the person doing the work, gathers as much evidence that he/she can. (lots of looking and testing)

that is why i dont like the red oil seen, i scratch head and see red fuel, huh? where'd that come from, ok shell.
but why is red oil in my head, i think, I wonder if the fuel pump is dumping, raw fuel to my crankcase as all these cars did back then, just wait and see, they all do.
all diaphragms all crack, that is what they do... in time...
think of the torture it gets. stroking over and over endlessly. running.
this is nothing new. and is always in back of mind... something to be on the alert to , on old carb cars. (some dont have it, but yours does)
you can swap plugs side to side, see if the fouling follows the plug the the spark hole.
swap spark wires.
put on a new cap. if not new already. (the can have hidden carbon tracking is the core of it) (seen caps do things, magic like, looks ok but is not ok....many....)

most old cars, i can take 2 hours and find 10 things wrong.
easy.
to me, if I cant drive it cross country, it's not a car.... so... (its a town beater....? with AAA tow car in glove box...)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plugs have red oily stain and misfire - by fixkick - 05-23-2015, 11:31 PM