Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple egr questions
Information 
Hello let me start by saying thank you to fix kick and everyone here for your invaluable knowledge. This site has helped me with many issues on my sidekick over the short time I've owned it. 
The vehicle is a Canadian 95 sidekick jx 4 door 4x4 1.6l 16v 5spd. So far I've done the timing belt, new plugs, checked compression, changed some sensors and bad grounds/ wiring, thermostat ( garbage aftermarket sloppy fitting, different style, starting to leak) and most fluids ( just bought a welder to free the trans and transfer case fill plugs) new thermostat on the way.

I've been doing a ton of reading on the wizardry of my EGR  system and started cleaning recently after getting code 51. Seems I don't have part 50 or I'm blind.. The main valve and where it bolts to on engine was completely clogged on the intake port (port closest to diaphragm) exaust port wasn't as bad but still lots of carbon in there. My first question is if my EGR valve is hosed? I soaked it overnight in carb cleaner by putting on it's side and filling while ports are blocked. Second time I had it out to re-clean I tryed to soak it again but the cleaner would dribble down the egr main valve piston and leak down the casing onto the diaphragm (leak is at blue arrow in link). Diaphragm is still holding vacume, engine running and disconnected. Valve seems to be passing the blow test even while moving diaphragm. I guess once the systems clean I'll know but does that mean the valve is bad, leaking like that? Going to take about a month to get here from rock auto and 360-550$ Canadian.
Failing stall test, and valve not heating up fully. Can touch it with bare hand after engine running 30 min and only warm. I'm sure my thermostat isn't helping.
 Still blocked on that passage. Had it off 4 or 5 times reaming pulling out tons of gunk but can only get in so far. Used a stiff wire and a 90 degree drill chuck and ream out what I could and by hand. Today I pulled a slimy ball out that alone would have been enough to clog the whole passage. I can even hear the gunk sloshish around in there. It's definately working it's way out. Also starting engine for a second to blow out crud after loosening kinda works. The first time I had the valve off I sprayed some carb cleaner in the passages, maybe a mistake? Intake manifold looks like a pain to remove and it's mostly freezing with rain / snow here. I'm sure that's where I'll find the most, just really don't want to haha. i've taken the exaust manifold off to clean those passages today, the passage on the manifold itself was restricted. The passage on engine by manifold wasn't terrible, wire going in about 8 inches then hitting a wall (this go directly to egr main valve?) Broke an exaust spring bolt so now it can't be put together till I source a new one with fast shipping as I cant get anything for this car locally couldn't even find a can of compressed air anywhere today  Huh 

https://www.suzuki-forums.com/cdn-cgi/im...pg.108603/

Messages In This Thread
Couple egr questions - by Zukiloop - 11-13-2022, 06:17 PM
RE: Couple egr questions - by fixkick - 12-14-2022, 07:14 AM
RE: Couple egr questions - by Zukiloop - 01-07-2023, 11:50 AM
RE: Couple egr questions - by fixkick - 02-15-2023, 04:01 AM
RE: Couple egr questions - by fixkick - 02-15-2023, 04:10 AM
RE: Couple egr questions - by fixkick - 02-15-2023, 04:28 AM