Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Hesitation/Surge Problem
Recently having routine maintenance done on my 97 Sidekick 1.6, 5spd MNL, 4 door Sidekick 16 valve engine.  Check engine light had been on in the car intermittently since I got the car in 2015 with 60k original miles on the clock.  Never any driveability issues. Gas mileage 24-25 mpg which I felt was good as I do little interstate driving. Don't recall when it became "permanently" on but I got curious while car was in the shop. Mechanic scanned and gave me codes for upstream 02 sensor and P0400 (EGR).  

Car needed a muffler and I decided to go ahead and take care of 02 sensor issue.  Upstream was stripped out and could not be removed form the manifold.  Exhaust shop had to create a bung hole in down pipe b4 cat to install. downstream was replaced as well. Had the egr, egr switch tested by mechanic and he said all good.  Cleared codes.  That lasted 2 days and engine light back on. P0400.  Decided to get egr, switch and modulator to replace. Cleared codes.  At this point, noticed a slight hiccup at idle but no hesitation, etc good acceleration, etc.

Shortly after apparently got bad gas somewhere and was driving on interstate.  About 20 miles out, car started "bucking" like a slight power loss. With applied pressure on accelerator would responded and buck again intermittently. Aborted trip and put Heet in tank, drove about 10 miles and fine. Didn't have any other issues. Took to mechanic next day.  Engine light still on P0400.

Had smoke tested. Only came out at airbox.  Checked and cleaned mass air flow. Asked to chnage fuel filter and when they pulled it was full of water - looked like mud. Recommended I drop tank, etc. dump gas and replace fuel pump and strainer as well.  Did it. 

While it was there I had them do plugs, wires, rotor button and distributor cap.  Never done since I owned car but also never any issues (current mileage 97k).

Drove car over a week and suddenly when driving back from errand about 5 miles from my house when I was accelerating at about 20-25mph, the stutter/hesitation reappeared. Continued to do so for a few blocks then stopped.

Called mechanic. No help - slammed.  Let car cool off and drove again a couple hours later. Initially no issue BUT appeared that once at operating temp for several miles - approx. 5, the issue would resurface. Continued driving, it would occur intermittently. 

Now it seems if car sits 10 -15 minutes and then you drive again, once you've gone so many miles or so many minutes at normal operating temp, the stutter hesitation occurs.  Speed doesnt seem to matter.  Whether your're going 20mph or 60 mph.  On same note, it may not do it at all.

Car currently in different shop now and they are trying to diagnose.  At $117 an hour, I need help and advice.  Most places won't even touch old cars.  P0400 code still when took in.  Never have been able to get rid of it.

See attached narrative I gave to mechanic shop.

.docx   1997 Suzuki Sidekick Feb 2020 Issues.docx (Size: 14.46 KB / Downloads: 4)

Messages In This Thread
Intermittent Hesitation/Surge Problem - by 3Waggintails - 02-26-2020, 04:35 PM