Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car running horrible flashing code 14 FIXED
Photo 
My 93 Sidekick 1.6L 16v (G16B MPI) was running real bad, low idle, barely drive in 2nd etc. (limp home?). I used the OBD1 method of paper clip to jumper 2 to 3 and it flashed code 14 (coolant sensor circuit). I took it in and had a diagnostic test done and they found that:

"...ECT SENSOR HAS LOW VOLTAGE. VERIFIED THERE IS .5v AT THE ECT SENSOR WITH THE SENSOR UNPLUGGED. TESTED FOR VOLTAGE AT THE ECM AND FOUND 1.5V COMING OUT OF THE COMPUTER. VEIRFIED THE MAIN RELAY IS PROVIDING PROPER POWER AT THE ECM. VEHICLE WILL NEED AND ECM"

The mechanic said $800 or to replace the ECM myself and gave me a part number. Very nice of  them! I replaced the ECM (ECU) with a Cardone as recommended by fixkick and using the directions provided here. The car runs like a champ now and no codes flashing. The ECU that I pulled out was rusty and had moisture on it from my car leaking. It had a number in yellow paint pen which leads me to believe this was a used part. Hopefully the Cardone lasts longer.

My car leaks pretty bad and it rains 76" a year here so I'm still wondering if water damage had anything to do with it or if it was an old ECU on its way out.

Not sure if this will help any one but figured I'd share just in case. Tried to post photos but couldn't upload from my computer.

Messages In This Thread
Car running horrible flashing code 14 FIXED - by Baja_bound - 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM