Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start
Picked up a fairly rust free 98 Sport Auto from Oklahoma and transported it to Virginia. Some issues.

1. Push button switch installed for starting. Got to fix it properly.

2 Wont stay running when started. Have to feather pedal until thermostat opens up, it eventually stays running but at around 2500 rpms..

3. ODBII port not working, my Torque App on phone won't see it. Have a '97 sport that has to be parted for rusty frame , ODBII worked with it so I know my reader is fine. Works on other vehicles.

Push button is probably because neutral safety switch went bad, more likely than keyswitch but have to test. Have to pull that mess apart and sort out the real issue. shouldn't be too hard. If it is the ignition switch the one out of my 97 should do the trick.

Won't stay running is bigger issue, Looks like parts where 'shotgunned' without diagnosing the real issues. Pick them apart.

ODBII no dome light so have to start checking fuses under the dash and see if thats the reason.

I have a 97 wiring diagram manual. Hopefully it will be close enough and I wont have to find a 98. These are expensive.

The vehicle has one rust spot behind left rear wheel and its just a dirty vehicle but it should be a keeper.

Messages In This Thread
1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start - by thebanjoman - 12-08-2018, 03:54 PM
RE: 1998 sidekick sport j18 hacked - by fixkick - 12-15-2018, 12:59 AM