• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitara 1991 5sp transmission leak
Hello again.

INFO:
- 1991 Vitara MT, 2 door, G16a, 4wd.
- 242000km / 150 000 miles
 - Plate in engine compartment.
  - TYPE: ETA01V
  - LAK625K17 (SWE, car has actually been sold in neighbor country FIN)
 - No AC

Problem:

Transmission case is always coated by yellow/golden oil. Looks pretty different from engine oil (in which the damn engine is always covered). Anyhow I do remember reading somewhere in the forum or fixkick.com instructions that some transmissions had vax seals somewhere that give up over time and the 5sp has some rubber plugs that should be glued. Just cant find the page or remember incorrectly.

Now I am taking my Vitara to a mechanic for clutch swap as I dont have any way to lift the car enough, and I do not dare to drop the tranny while car is on jacks. This mechanic is not suzuki only guy, so trying to sort out some things for him. Suzuki dealership is here horrible.. Sad

So any advice what I should ask them to look (or even better do you have a picture) so if they could locate the leaks and plug them out with something. (plugs/vax/chemical metal.. what ever).. while they replace the clutch and change tranny oil.

I don't like it leaking.. and I definitely don't want to start topping it of periodically, but it has to be get done while they swap the clutch as I cant drop the tranny at home and be sure I will manage to get it back there.

I suspect the transmission has not been opened ever. Not sure if the clutch I currently have is original or not, so no idea if that has been swapped. My old Camry did 340 000 km with original clutch and I did tow a caravan, but I would expect off-road car to have worse clutch wear so most probably its not the original clutch at 240 000 km.

Thanks in advantage.
Shocked 
(04-21-2020, 03:08 AM)jwunsch Wrote: Hello again.

INFO:
- 1991 Vitara MT, 2 door, G16a, 4wd.
- 242000km / 150 000 miles
 - Plate in engine compartment.
  - TYPE: ETA01V
  - LAK625K17 (SWE, car has actually been sold in neighbor country FIN)
 - No AC

Problem:

Transmission case is always coated by yellow/golden oil. Looks pretty different from engine oil (in which the damn engine is always covered). Anyhow I do remember reading somewhere in the forum or fixkick.com instructions that some transmissions had vax seals somewhere that give up over time and the 5sp has some rubber plugs that should be glued. Just cant find the page or remember incorrectly.

Now I am taking my Vitara to a mechanic for clutch swap as I dont have any way to lift the car enough, and I do not dare to drop the tranny while car is on jacks.

So any advice what I should ask them to look (or even better do you have a picture) so if they could locate the leaks and plug them out with something. (plugs/vax/chemical metal.. what ever).. while they replace the clutch and change tranny oil.

I don't like it leaking.. and I definitely don't want to start topping it of periodically, but it has to be get done while they swap the clutch as I cant drop the tranny at home and be sure I will manage to get it back there.

I suspect the transmission has not been opened ever. Not sure if the clutch I currently have is original or not, so no idea if that has been swapped. My old Camry did 340 000 km with original clutch and I did tow a caravan, but I would expect off-road car to have worse clutch wear so most probably its not the original clutch at 240 000 km.

Thanks in advantage.
welcome to here.
yes the top leaker's are

both distributor o-rings are never good, they all fail, but if you put in VITON™ o-rings the do last mostly forever.
these fail and the valve gasket too, and both leak down back of head land on the BELL housing and the vent there lets it go  inside the clutch housing
and yes, the 2 rubber plugs never do last, on the top of the 5speed, the glue used by suzuki always fails.

see drawing 3 and part ID 13 (lucky 13 LoL !) Undecided

https://fixkick.com/tranny/5speed-rebuild.html

they are rubber, and only seen tranny out of case.
and top front if housing left and right, if they fall out the rails push GL4 out the case and make a huge mess, even burns up the gearbox ignored.

I had to take 2 bad boxes to make 1.

look here see those 2 top rail detent plug bolts, just to left there is the rubber stopper.

[Image: t2.jpg]

also learn the trans can be pulled in serial fashion , REAR to front. (
transfer case off after secret screw 1 is removed. first then all the others.

the center case is a dry case, even has vent bottom , for  telling you seals blown inside, rear tran or front seal failed.

and 5speed box last.  sure can. from inside car take of shifter extension housing, and the rest is obvious.

tranny out steps here 30 steps.

https://fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/new-clutch-howto.html

that is right jacks , are never safe for any human under a car, even my dog no.
jack stands yes. HD 2000lb rated each. or more. quality.
http://www.fixkick.com
(04-21-2020, 04:06 AM)fixkick Wrote: that is right jacks , are never safe for any human under a car, even my dog no.
jack stands yes. HD 2000lb rated each. or more. quality.

I will go trough this with the mechanics (+ the tip about needing wood so that the engine wont tip) as they probably do not have FSM for Vitara. Hopefully nothing major with the tranny. It is not leaking bad.. it drops 1-2 drops after it has been driven and is parked. So only leaks while its turning.

Oh and ofc NEVER go under the car if its on jack. I meant jack stands which I have, but failed with my English.

But I don't have all tools required for the clutch swap... and I am bit scared that if there is some major problem, then I have car and tranny stuck at a place where they are really hard to get towed away. So will buy this service instead of the tools. But they told me Vitara is not familiar for them even tho the shop specializes on 4x4 parts and service.

You mostly see old Vitara in northern Finland, not here in south where you actually don,t need 4wd for anything. Smile

Thanks a lot for your help again.. bit by bit I am getting this mess sorted out with your help.
you are welcome ! and good luck on your JOB, hope it all goes smooth and fast.

Cheers (Salud)
http://www.fixkick.com