Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P0740 code
Hi!

Failed NJ state emissions test with P0740 and an inoperative MIL.

I bought a salvaged instrument cluster that fixed the burnt out MIL plus took away my screeching speedometer. I took apart the original speedo with 132k miles and learned that even with the copper cup and needle removed I still had noise from the bushing for the magnet. New to me cluster seems all a go and has only 83k miles.

Back to P0740. Not knowing what a TCC is I have relied only on my 1997 Factory service manual.

My vehicle: 1997 Tracker 2 door convertible 1.6 liter 16V automatic 4x4

Let me say I have NO driveability issues. All gears engage smoothly, though I am unsure in my ability to sense the application of the TCC around 50 mph. If I tap the brakes at 50+mph while holding steady throttle then my answer would be that the engine RPM do NOT blip up. I do not know for sure what I am doing and I may be 100% wrong. I get 25-26 mpg with mixed driving.

The automatic is a 3 speed 3L30 and there is a whole diagnostic section for code P0740. I have learned my way through the electrical diagnosis steps 1-9. Each value has been a YES, which directs me from step 9 to step 15. I only own a $15 code reader that does not give me values during a drive test, but while driving down a level road with steady throttle my Engine RPMs with my instrument cluster tachometer are real close to the specified values of 3000 rpm at 55 mph and 3500 rpm for 65 mph. With this the diagnostic tree points me to #16 which call for me to plug in a known good PCM. Hmphf! Santa did not put one in my stocking this year.

Do I trust the factory service manual for the diagnostics? Should I track down a salvage yard PCM? How much is a PCM? I was real happy that the instrument cluster was $90, but I could see on eBay that this was in line. I did not see many PCMs, plus how do I know which years work? The cluster was easy to match up at the salvage yard counter, but I do not know how to shop for a PCM.

I sure need an inspection sticker and have until 2-28-15 to get this fixed.

Thanks for reading!

Allen
sorry for your grief !

(01-21-2015, 06:42 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Hi!

I bought a salvaged instrument cluster that fixed the burnt out MIL plus took away my screeching speedometer. I took apart the original speedo with 132k miles and learned that even with the copper cup and needle removed I still had noise from the bushing for the magnet. New to me cluster seems all a go and has only 83k miles.

Back to P0740. Not knowing what a TCC is I have relied only on my 1997 Factory service manual. TCC is he front fluid clutch lock.

Let me say I have NO driveability issues. All gears engage smoothly, though I am unsure in my ability to sense the application of the TCC around 50 mph. If I tap the brakes at 50+mph while holding steady throttle then my answer would be that the engine RPM do NOT blip up. Tcc IS DEAD.

I do not know for sure what I am doing and I may be 100% wrong. I get 25-26 mpg with mixed driving.

The automatic is a 3 speed 3L30 and there is a whole diagnostic section for code P0740. I have learned my way through the electrical diagnosis steps 1-9. Each value has been a YES, which directs me from step 9 to step 15. I only own a $15 code reader that does not give me values during a drive test, but while driving down a level road with steady throttle my Engine RPMs with my instrument cluster tachometer are real close to the specified values of 3000 rpm at 55 mph and 3500 rpm for 65 mph. With this the diagnostic tree points me to #16 which call for me to plug in a known good PCM. Hmphf! Santa did not put one in my stocking this year.

You could cut the ttc ,wire and hot wire it , driving, see if it works
also is the ohms to ground correct, not infinity.
if trans is older than 1996 , there was a tcc pressure switch there, delete it and jumper to solenoid works all the time.

Do I trust the factory service manual for the diagnostics? Should I track down a salvage yard PCM?
do not buy a pcm, use a voltmeter on the 1 wire, if it goes to 12vdc at 50mph, the PCM is good!!!!

How much is a PCM? $50 used pigs in pokes to or $400 from Cardone , do the tests. let me help
I was real happy that the instrument cluster was $90, but I could see on eBay that this was in line. I did not see many PCMs, plus how do I know which years work?
Just 1997 see my pcm pdf pages real suzuki page,
1997 suzuki moved the TCM in to the ECU, soin .... big deal that.

The cluster was easy to match up at the salvage yard counter, but I do not know how to shop for a PCM. I DO.

Thanks for reading!

Allen

steps, did you pull the trans side connector (left) and ohm out the Tcc WIRE TO GROUND
IS THE tranny ground strap in place
is the tcc wire going to 12vdc at 50,MPH

DO NOT BUY PARTS YET, WE CAN PROVE WHAT IS WRONG, EASY.

LONG Ago the fender Tcc RELAY was deleted.
then the TCM uses a high power transistor to drive the TCC LINE,
so only voltage matters from the TCm (Er, pcm) the line hits 12vdc that is IT , the PCM job ends. easy huh?
so i measure pin on side of trans, for my guess 30 ohms? its on my 3l30 page. but not infinity
infinity, or huge ohms like 100, that is bad.
pan off (sorry)?) pcm good, pan off
pan off , and i look a the tcc wire, is it broken, is it going to the silly pressure switch deleted in 1995? yes, get rid of it, the TSB warns of that.
pressure switch gone, bypassed, we then check ohms again, ah 30 ohms or 20 not high. good, no its infinity and bad new tcc solenoid right there. on wire end.

there if the solenoid ohms is good, hot wire it do you hear it open, yes, good, no bad
ok it makes noise,
we then bench test it per fsm page, i have ,,,,, using 12vdc and a air pressure or oil can with trigger, pressure feed it crudly
most shops just use shop air to test the valve, open yes, closed yeas, with no 12v. opens with 12vdc
easy huh

beyond that, its bad lock time, not good news that.

cheers=

ps, ask questions.
http://www.fixkick.com
(01-21-2015, 07:37 AM)fixkick Wrote: sorry for your grief !

(01-21-2015, 06:42 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Hi!

Back to P0740. Not knowing what a TCC is I have relied only on my 1997 Factory service manual. TCC is he front fluid clutch lock.

Let me say I have NO driveability issues. All gears engage smoothly, though I am unsure in my ability to sense the application of the TCC around 50 mph. If I tap the brakes at 50+mph while holding steady throttle then my answer would be that the engine RPM do NOT blip up. Tcc IS DEAD.

I do not know for sure what I am doing and I may be 100% wrong. I get 25-26 mpg with mixed driving.

You could cut the ttc ,wire and hot wire it , driving, see if it works
------[/u]you mean once I get to 50 mph then I make the wire connection?
also is the ohms to ground correct, not infinity.
-------i am not sure. Here is what I tried per fsm: step 7 of diagnostics tree had me ohm the TCC relay terminal 4 to ground and I had 27 ohms at 40 degrees Fahrenheit (this step was described as testing the TCC solenoid for proper resistance, the book said perfect would be 30-36 ohms at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Was I close enough as I was colder than spec? Maybe I am worse and the TCC has wrong resistance.)
if trans is older than 1996 , there was a tcc pressure switch there, delete it and jumper to solenoid works all the time.

-------[u]seems I can skip this step being a 1997

Do I trust the factory service manual for the diagnostics? Should I track down a salvage yard PCM?
do not buy a pcm, use a voltmeter on the 1 wire, if it goes to 12vdc at 50mph, the PCM is good!!!
-------
Mmm, step 9 of fsm me jack up rear wheels, get motor running at full warm and put tranny in drive up to 47 mph--I just got between 50-55mph and measure voltage by back probing TCC relay pin 4 and ground and I had 14.5 volts which the fsm said was a passing grade for TCC solenoid operation.

How much is a PCM? $50 used pigs in pokes to or $400 from Cardone , do the tests. let me help
I was real happy that the instrument cluster was $90, but I could see on eBay that this was in line. I did not see many PCMs, plus how do I know which years work?
Just 1997 see my pcm pdf pages real suzuki page,
1997 suzuki moved the TCM in to the ECU, soin .... big deal that.

The cluster was easy to match up at the salvage yard counter, but I do not know how to shop for a PCM. I DO.
-------[/u]smiles

Thanks for reading!

Allen

steps, did you pull the trans side connector (left) and ohm out the Tcc WIRE TO GROUND
-------no, I have either been at tcc relay or at pcm connector c1
IS THE tranny ground strap in place
-------
do not know, but I will investigate
is the tcc wire going to 12vdc at 50,MPH
-------i think so per step 9 mentioned above

DO NOT BUY PARTS YET, WE CAN PROVE WHAT IS WRONG, EASY.
-------
sounds great, plus I learn more

LONG Ago the fender Tcc RELAY was deleted.
then the TCM uses a high power transistor to drive the TCC LINE,
so only voltage matters from the TCm (Er, pcm) the line hits 12vdc that is IT , the PCM job ends. easy huh?
so i measure pin on side of trans, for my guess 30 ohms? its on my 3l30 page. but not infinity
-------i think mine was 27 ohms at 40 degrees...good?
infinity, or huge ohms like 100, that is bad.
pan off (sorry)?) pcm good, pan off
pan off , and i look a the tcc wire, is it broken, is it going to the silly pressure switch deleted in 1995? yes, get rid of it, the TSB warns of that.
pressure switch gone, bypassed, we then check ohms again, ah 30 ohms or 20 not high. good, no its infinity and bad new tcc solenoid right there. on wire end.

there if the solenoid ohms is good, hot wire it do you hear it open, yes, good, no bad
-----
OK, I have NOT asked the solenoid to make noise. I will look at wire diagram to see what I jump. I am putting something straight to ground?
ok it makes noise,
we then bench test it per fsm page, i have ,,,,, using 12vdc and a air pressure or oil can with trigger, pressure feed it crudly
most shops just use shop air to test the valve, open yes, closed yeas, with no 12v. opens with 12vdc
easy huh
-------I have ordered dexron III a gasket and filter and will check for tips I have missed or forgotten. You cover a lot of ground!

beyond that, its bad lock time, not good news that.
-------
fingers crossed!

-------Great learning and fun. Many thanks!!!

cheers=

ps, ask questions.
I slept on this.. always good at my age
the CEL is just a #18 GE lamp , plugs in, (moot point now)
the ecu never lies about, 740 but, can be fooled, if the tcc really does work, drops RPM say at 45-50 light flat cruise.
then it might get (theory) confused on hills. and fail.
there is also the possibility of pulling dome fuse, drive until all monitors clear (obd2 mons) and get the smog check before the
740 check runs. (like juggling 4 bowling pins , yes, a royal pita)
ok if the rpm dont drop. and is key that, you check PCM tcc pin, its 12v then pcm ok, seems it is.
then ohms of internal is 37 great
click test, (by hot wiring it, its just a coil to ground, tiny click may be very hard to hear, sans stethoscope)
drop pan, the omg , this is a 1995 or oder swap in, and that sill pressure switch is there.
that ttc wire goes to press switch, and then to solenoid, and sole to ground , that switch may work and the fail at odd moments
that is why suzuki removed it (press/sw), it is too strict in its conditions.
its probably not there. and should not and 27 ohms says its not there.
I dont have the drawing of your trans side connector , and what color is TCC, but think you found out, (and these facts missing in the TSB)

the full set of tests are here.
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/automatic-...ilure.html

at one point suzuki added a delay box to tcc, on the fire wall, pre 96s but? its always good to check for its presents'
see the full TSB there covers all years.

do not hot wire the solenoid backwards (plus to ground ) as the solenoid has internal clamp diodes, that if bad will cause the coil
to burn out the ECU,tcc transistor. (back EMF clamp it is)
drawing is the bench test of solenoid, using oil, or as common today, just show air, or lips on a hose.
its open and not stuck open, and closes, and then opens with 12vdc, applied, Plus to wire, minus to ground.

make sure the transmission ground strap is not missing or mangled, this can kill any tcc dead.
seen and heard many missing, i forget, its from case to cross-member, and is banded heavy stRap? (a generic strap will work)

WHAT TO DO FIRST:?
reset the pcm with dome, and pray it was an ANOMALY, ? (A GLITCH) WHO KNOWS. and is always worth a try.
to fool (not really but) the smog man. (not him , your cars monitors)

pull dome fuse for 1 min? or press reset on scan tool. (all is now forgotten)
drive until all "not completes" are complete, and then avoid 47mph like plague.?
avoid hills .
Keep trans cool,morning drive, grandma driving.
in most states its ok to have one not complete,(fed guidelines) this is because the silly EVAP MONITOR fails to run with full tank of fuel. (needs air space RULES)
the evap can take 30minutes to clear, if low tank. a pain,
So keep 3/4 tank or less, so that more monitors clear, and evap clear , giving you a wave on 1 more not ready, (always a good thing, 421s is bad cat, or 400s? egr.)
keep transmission cool, avoid long drives before testing, so the TCC test is suspended?
avoid cruising?
end dancing on head of pin,,etc...

i dont have 97 book to see exact, meaning of 740, its new for 1997, so..;..there are other p074x codes. (i have no list of true differences,)

the ECU, can only see one thing, the engine RPM drop. but below, it says tcm voltage drop.
if its voltage that means the solenoid is shorted, I dont believe this below. statement.

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error...fault.aspx

": Diagnostic trouble code P0740 is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve."
i think they ment RPM drop. oops.
if im wong , that means the TCC line is shorted to ground, or TCM transistor is shorted. but yours works ok? er, does 12vdc, driving,

your PCM TCC transistor sources 12vdc, current, its just a switch to power. the power flow to the Solenid coil and it opens and atf fluid
slams in to TCC lockup lock, and 1:1 gear happens.

I hope it's something simple and and easy fix.
i hope the cat dont block you pan.

ps
to prove tcm is ok
connect a jumper wire from tcc wire ?(trans conn) i dont know color, drive past 47? see if you get 12vdc, if you do, pcm is good.! can read 14v.
if fails, say 0v or 6v or 8v, disconnect wire whole connector at trans case, see that tcc wire, it goes to 12-15vvdc at 47+mph. flat cruise,steady foot(right)

im shocked , have you see the EPA dirty list
and, 1997 is on the list. for trackers.
here it is in pure text, (this means the PCM has gross logic errors, and has exemptions.) Make sure you have the exemption in the glove box at all times.

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/ODB2/exempt.txt

tell them to read directive
Saf-C 3222.06 Exemptions from Rejection Criteria.

and pass you.
i hope.

http://www.epa.gov/region1/topics/air/si...200_NH.pdf

its shows New hampshire but says its EPA certified, that these exemptions true;

found it, it applies to 1997 trackers but not 1997 sidekicks how odd that is.....

the real deal is here, id print it out and blush at smog man, sir, did you see these epa directive?
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/regt...f08009.pdf

i think it means they do he OBD1 test, with rear tires on rollers and sniff test
and that test skips Transmission, !!!!

it be like car is 1995, and pass.

so the tactic is pull dome for min or 2 in parking lot , drive in get test,bay.
man says the monitors are not complete (shock)
you then say, see this EPA directive , suzuki has PCM bug here, so use oBD1 IM testing, win.

if the lock is bad, In deep inside clutch, id be tempted to pull this dance above off.
sorry for long post , this as all data,i have on topic
but can get more, if need be.

cheers.
(01-21-2015, 11:59 PM)fixkick Wrote: sorry for long post , this as all data,i have on topic
but can get more, if need be.

cheers.

Hi. Here is an update. I investigated having NJ motor vehicle inspect the vehicle under a OBD II monitor exception and found that I would not receive any slack and be inspected at the full standard. I have driven extensively and found that I could trigger a p0740 very consistently in less than 2 miles if I had at least 2 start ups of the engine. I could trigger a code with never having driven over 35 miles per hour. No other codes have ever been present. This made me consider the problem to be something the system could monitor before actually achieving the speed at which the tcc would lock.

I found the ground strap to be intact but to not be conducting as my multi meter showed infinite ohms. I made and installed my own ground strap in place of the existing strap. My first test drive included 5 start ups and about 12 miles before the p0740 retuned with MIL on. I have been driving for a week since doing the ground strap and have found that the code takes more starting cycles and miles to trigger. I was intrigued that I now have the same problem but with a different quality.

I went through the same diagnostic tree in the fsm that I performed earlier in this posting and found this time at step 7 (checks tcc resistance value) that I was now open/infinite ohms instead of spec of 30-36 ohms. I found the 2 wire trans connector and verified continuity with less than 2 ohms resistance of the wire between tcc relay and the trans connector. At this point the FSM suggests dropping the trans pan. I have ordered a tcc solenoid and hopefully get the right part later this week. Once I have the part I will drop the pan for a solenoid swap and do the trans filter while there.

I will advise as things proceed.

Here in Philadelphia PA region we have had more road icing than normal and it has been tough getting around. Safe driving to all!
the tcc solenoid is bad if not 3x ohms, coil is burned out or wires feel off, or this is an early 95s transmission with silly pressure switch there,
by pass it , if found.

the ohms will be infinity to the coil if the pre 95 presssure switch is there, not running, (tranny oil pump)
the side label on trans may have build date.

one more clue. for free, looks.
(02-04-2015, 11:09 AM)fixkick Wrote: the tcc solenoid is bad if not 3x ohms, coil is burned out or wires feel off, or this is an early 95s transmission with silly pressure switch there,
by pass it , if found.

the ohms will be infinity to the coil if the pre 95 presssure switch is there, not running, (tranny oil pump)
the side label on trans may have build date.

one more clue. for free, looks.

Yes, that makes sense. True, the vehicle title state 1997, but I have no idea what year or the set-up of the transmission. The FSM manual schematic shows one wire white running from tcc relay to the tcc solenoid in the trans, but when I pulled the trans connector there were 2 wires--a blue wire and a white wire. I tested the white wire with my multi meter. I could not find a reference for the blue wire anywhere in the manual. It may be there as I could have just not known where to look.

There was lots of oily dirt blown down and back on to the transmission and I had a hard enough time finding the trans connector so I will go back to find some info about the transmission on a tag. Not to hijack my own thread, is there a proper way to clean an oily/ dirty motor and trans without creating electrical or rust problems?

Thank you!
yes, the older tranny has 2 wires.
one is before the pressure switch and one after.
one must read 30 ohms (+-spec) if not the coil is open.

this wire is controversial.
many cars with trailer hitch? have mods here, a hidden switch or delay box. that allows. driver to turn off lock so he can pull a tailer and not have TCC HUNT.
that hunt will drive you mad and wreck a good TCC lock.
i think the pressure switch is for cold ATF fluid, but turned out to be more trouble that cured, so in 1995 it was deleted.

just engine cleaner soaks over and over and gentle water spray, but my cause shifter cable to rust.

here is the early car, and wiring, the Relay is gone !

lt .blue must be 30 ohms (spec ohms) if not , its bad. switch for pressure or not.

no need to pull tranny yet, just that one pin,

keep in mind tranny may not be 1997, not at all after so many years.
[Image: 96TCC_accurate1w.jpg]

move the white wire to the pin, that reads 10 to 30 ohms. and drive.
they might have changed the pin numbers in 1996.
are you sure the ECU in your car is the A/T ECU? last digits? dash -72E31 ( or E21 for 2wd)
and not E01 for M/T !!!
see here, exactly
http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/EPC-ECU96-98/...N_ECU1.pdf
i revised this page,
i do not have 97 drawings.

the 96 still has the fender relay.

http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/automatic-...ilure.html
"Control +F5" after load page.

find out if one pin on transmission conn., is 30 ohms? (not infinity)
if yes, make the WHITE wire go there.!!!
new fender relay, no delay module there,(from TSB bad dream)
and drive now.
hope , it works.