Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 JLX Sport #2 Cylinder Tale of Woe
Ok here we go again. was driving home the other night when all of a sudden the sidekicks starts running rough as hell and hesitating. I limp the suzuki home one 1.5 miles or so. Today I have time and its not raining so I start trying to diagnose the problem. I figure its a burnt spark plug. I pull all the plugs and sure enough #2 is torched. I swap that out. This doesn't fix the problem. Still running bad and I have a constant knock very noticeable . start thinking I got a bad boot or a bad cop so I swap out the cop with another cylinder. to see if I can make #2 fire and cause a miss fire elsewhere. This doesn't work. still #2 is the problem. Beginning to think I have a bad injector. Any advice would be helpful. Confused

Also have a cheap code checker currently showing no codes even tho there is clearly something going on with #2 cylinder
(12-21-2020, 09:30 AM)LMBaker Wrote: Ok here we go again. was driving home the other night when all of a sudden the sidekicks starts running rough as hell and hesitating. I limp the suzuki home one 1.5 miles or so. Today I have time and its not raining so I start trying to diagnose the problem. I figure its a burnt spark plug. I pull all the plugs and sure enough #2 is torched. I swap that out. This doesn't fix the problem. Still running bad and I have a constant knock very noticeable . start thinking I got a bad boot or a bad cop so I swap out the cop with another cylinder. to see if I can make #2 fire and cause a miss fire elsewhere. This doesn't work. still #2 is the problem. Beginning to think I have a bad injector. Any advice would be helpful. Confused

Also have a cheap code checker currently showing no codes even tho there is clearly something going on with #2 cylinder
cheap reader can not do pending codes, but misfire code to store (dome fuse not blow) can take 2 driving cycles.
the first step is , do a compression test,  done sparks out, throttle blocked open (by foot or hand) and let the needle peak, cranked.
bad valves happen,  no need to spend a fortune first on parts,  just do the test. for sure #2
normal PSI is 199 PSI. on the j18,   has high CR, compression ratio,  so is nice and high. (more power from engine too)
photos of #2 plug are like magic, seen, they talk and tell a story.

knock are not a good sign and bad spark and bad injector do not knock they only misfire, skips a beat and engine shacks a tad. each mis.
the tool is $20  and will not lie to you.... trust your tools.

burrr , shortest day of the year, 21 dec. north of equator. burrrrr no fun working out side... I do feel your pain.....
http://www.fixkick.com
Ok I posted two pictures in the J18 gallery of the plug. Also a compression test is a good idea but tricky considering the location of the spark plugs. basically centerline of head and about 4.5" down. My best guess is either a stuck,bad valve or injector failure. I suspect the injector for two reasons. one when I removed the plug it was completely torched, and because it was dry. I have experienced spark failure before and when I pulled the plug it was wet. In that case it I had to replace the boot and the 2 pin connector. Please look at the photos and tell me what you think.
(12-22-2020, 03:14 AM)LMBaker Wrote: Ok I posted two pictures in the J18 gallery of the plug. Also a compression test is a good idea but tricky considering the location of the spark plugs. basically centerline of head and about 4.5" down. My best guess is either a stuck,bad valve or injector failure. I suspect the injector for two reasons. one when I removed the plug it was completely torched, and because it was dry. I have experienced spark failure before and when I pulled the plug it was wet. In that case it I had to replace the boot and the 2 pin connector. Please look at the photos and tell me what you think.
Well i can not know what torched means, but looking myself yes.
the std, compression gage has long hose  and 14mm  fitting on the end, to fit any engine, (not 18mm 1940 ford)
injectors swap sure.  
i see no photos sorry,  ah yes your gallery, yes. off I go to gallery.

in basic engine repair the vacuum gauge and compression tools primary evidence, and frankly one spark out and in the hose and omg 20psi or 0. not 200.
for sure a 5 minute job. yes cops are pain if the boot shreds, sure.
that is 1 one of 2 things (found that photo and what beauty it is )
sucked a valve and its chucks beat it to death
or rank detonation, (lean burn knock dmage )

i'd then take my trusty bore scope in to that 14mm hole and see piston top damage and even chunks.
or use the compression gauge, omg,,,,,,, 0 PSI.
omg it is magnetized and with fine iron filings, (valve dust ) it's got HAIR see it?

[Image: 490_1608568459274_PART_1608568459206.jpeg]