Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1994 1.6 16v valve lash
This is my second time to adjust the lash and greatly appreciate all of your knowledge. So I decided to set the lash at .005 (cold) to try to lessen the ticking after its warmed up. I did this on all 16 valves using the recommended method (gap between the cam heel and rocker arm method). I have started the engine and all sounds good but I am a damn perfectionist and thinking about maybe going back in and setting it to .006 because as I learned too tight can burn a valve or more. The ticking has slightly lessened. So please give me your thoughts.
(10-23-2020, 07:53 AM)ramm440 Wrote: This is my second time to adjust the lash and greatly appreciate all of your knowledge. So I decided to set the lash at .005 (cold) to try to lessen the ticking after its warmed up. I did this on all 16 valves using the recommended method (gap between the cam heel and rocker arm method). I have started the engine and all sounds good but I am a damn perfectionist and thinking about maybe going back in and setting it to .006 because as I learned too tight can burn a valve or more. The ticking has slightly lessened. So please give me your thoughts.
what oil do you use?  if you used spec oil from the operators guide G16 it will be more quite. do you? 10w-30

the method does not matter so long as the rocker is on the heels of the cam lob.  

the setting is  range, not one number.  just like torque on bolts.
the ticking is not a problem this is no HLA engine, Hydraulic Lash Adjuster. like the J18 ,j20 up.
the spec. is clear.
When cold - Coolant 59-77 degrees F.:
Intake:    .005 to .007
Exhaust:  (same as intake above)

When hot - Coolant 140-154 degrees F.:  
Intake: , .007 to .008)
Exhaust:  (same as intake above) see warning for 16v above 50F our door ambient temps.

[Image: oil-spec95.JPG]
http://www.fixkick.com
Castrol 10w30
(10-24-2020, 04:24 AM)ramm440 Wrote: Castrol 10w30
sorry just checking not 0w  oil.....
http://www.fixkick.com