Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1991 sidekick speedometer
Continual problems with my speedometer. Wasn't working when I got the rig. Pulled everything apart, cleaned,lubed reassembled and worked for maybe 50 before the cable broke up close to the cluster. Ordered a new cable, worked but was definitely reading high before cable breaking again close to the cluster. Speedo feels good on the bench, turns freely both by hand and with a drill. Any ideas on why the cable breaking. TIA
(06-29-2024, 06:54 AM)hoffy30 Wrote: Continual problems with my speedometer. Wasn't working when I got the rig. Pulled everything apart, cleaned,lubed reassembled and worked for maybe 50 before the cable broke up close to the cluster. Ordered a new cable, worked but was definitely reading high before cable breaking again close to the cluster. Speedo feels good on the bench, turns freely both by hand and with a drill. Any ideas on why the cable breaking. TIA
No car told,  no year,, no engine. told.

the cluster gear inside is cluster is seized,  a bad cluster.
reading high is the CUP  is hitting the magnet drive
that meams the bushings for this cup are blown out and it flops arround and jams up.

its not the trans missions fault
its not the cables fault, it is hard driving from the tanny tail shaft solid gear.
the head is bad (cluster)

my sub pages on fixkick is called unsafe at any speed,
but all we needs is this one photo
if the bushing (bearings)for the cup wear out the mag net puck inside slams into the cup for sure going fast, fast is worst case.

that is all there is inside. unless the Odmeter guts seize,, that is.

if you saw the speedo needle jerk crazy the CUP just failed.
The cup has  hard air gap there, until , bearings fail.

[Image: speedo-guts4.jpg]
http://www.fixkick.com
the other trick is remove the odometer to see if it is jammed and left it out and drive.
http://www.fixkick.com