Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 tracker -no start FI fuse?
(09-29-2020, 12:28 PM)rjm Wrote: I replaced the ECU and the truck runs! Obviously the ecu has something more than leaky caps and the suspect zener diode. I want to fix this ecu and keep it as a spare in my boony box. I'm a bit leery of going out on the trails after this event. What can you offer as next component to replace? I'm interested in fixing it myself ( was quite satisfied with my soldering skills - but struggled with the "desoldering" I think this "solder wick"  thing maybe helpful.  If I can't, then it goes to cardone or other  repair house for test/repair. I still find it amazing that it was running perfect and while idling in the garage it just quit!
again -any help is appreciated. As a side note the cold idle is about 2k rpm. Is that a sign of something off or simply an adjustment? once wamned up the idle is about 750 -ish.
Thanks rjm
good news,  and amazing for a car 30 years old that still runs.
solder suckers and solder wick, both work or as a team. for sure.

the 2k is from the IAC, cold air supply, when cold it opens. and is 30 years old. the drift with age and it is amazing it still  works all, 1500 is more common but the iAC (inside base of Throttle body)
varies by water temperatures, only. 
The IAC has a wax pellet inside just like coolant thermostat has and no thermostat made lasts 30year, 7  is par  on STAT.'s
The ECU has may parts that are not made nor sold now. zener  yes, on all.
The Big transistors are sold, but the 4 transistors in SIP package are not (VSV drivers)
Most Big house repair shops cannibalize old ECU to fix 1.  in many cases.
Not only that but 2 ECU in hand one can see copper trace damage,  after all the acid eats up the evidence of what was there before.
There are no schematics from suz nor Fab drawings on PCB layout.
The if you have burn damage most of those are hopeless, or make good Cannibalized targets for rare parts.

if the damage is huge the BIG repair house will reject it as a core. (no core credit)

this 90 ECU does not create or control spark (nor advance), this ECU only injects (and runs vsv etc)
That means having good spark means nothing for this ECU,  at all. zero. it is  fuel injection controller.

your ECU old is dead, fully dead. what I do with dead is check power pins on all larger chips. (not transistors) only IC chips.
if VCC or VDD pins are dead on any the power pins the supply is dead, (cap acid damage is mostly the cause eating up traces, or burn damaged.)
we call those VRM's voltage reg . modules.  we test those too.  The ECU has 2 of these at least.

in electronics checking power is first 5vdc in this case.

good luck finding a spare good.  at least they can be had , unlike Samurai, ECU,  ouch.
http://www.fixkick.com
the IAC factory ring can be moved but has Japanese locktite thread locker on it and will not want to budge. (some say)
I have never tired to move that factory ring.
see here (contributors photo)
https://fixkick.com/IDLE-AIR/Slide_Show/...ge_11.html

lower right corner see those threads.?
It is factory calibrated to close at 100% at 150F. (ending air supply here)
at 150 f the ISC take over the job (ECU brain does that) and idle is 800 + 1 50rpm. and regulate via ECU modulation of the ISC electric device.
I wouldn't mind having a spare ECU for my 90 Tracker. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the online shops that either sell or repair ECUs? Do any of these shops sell refreshed/rebuild ECUs so I could use it as a spare without having to send in a core?

It was mentioned that the 90 ECU doesn't have anything to do with spark and is only used for FI and vsv etc (not sure what those are). Can ECUs from other years be reprogrammed or reconfigured to provide only the roles needed by 89-90 Trackers and ignore any not needed by these years?
just look at all outputs of ECU, those are things it controls, but never spark
VSV is vacuum solenoid valve, EGR and Dash pot. ISC controls. and sure the 1 injector. (AT relay for TCC)  AT TB base heater relay.
this ECU can never be programmed the firmware or ROM, (called OTP)  one time programmable for ever.
that is why they have so many ECU over 100.  due to that.
best is setting a saved search for your ECU.
and wait.
you need the same ECU Pn/ yours has  ending in 60Axx,  xx changes for , MT oT and smog versions, calif, fed, canada, and more, for all markets would wide.

id say yours is 60a32 (mt)
seen here

https://fixkick.com/ECU/EPC-ECU96-98/all...9-95NA.pdf

you are correct many car  makers years later, had 1 ECU and can do 4 to 12 cylinders, programmable.
a huge dream and was and is done to some extent. (and even for options)

find one on ebay,  even for $50 to $100 the pop up,.used, and working, dead ones are not worth much. due to unlimited damage possible.
Hello JC Tracker,
I found an ecu for my tracker here - this shop is a great source for parts.
http://sidetrackedparts.net/
I’m looking into various rebuilders and refurbishers now and will post up what I find.
I’ve inquired at this site about using a GM ecu - seems doable with some effort according to dynamic FI
Quote:
A GM ECM could be used, but it would take some work. Sensors such as a MAP, TPS, coolant temperature would need to be the same style or actually GM sensors.

Would also need to get a proper 5V square wave signal from the distributor to get the ECM to fire the injectors.
I think someone with the skills could put together a simple alternative to the 89/90 ecu - trouble is not much demand
(10-01-2020, 03:15 AM)rjm Wrote: Hello JC Tracker,
I found an ecu for my tracker here - this shop is a great source for parts.
http://sidetrackedparts.net/
I’m looking into various rebuilders and refurbishers now and will post up what I find.
I’ve inquired at this site about using a GM ecu - seems doable with some effort according to dynamic FI
Quote:
A GM ECM could be used, but it would take some work. Sensors such as a MAP, TPS, coolant temperature would need to be the same style or actually GM sensors.

Would also need to get a proper 5V square wave signal from the distributor to get the ECM to fire the injectors.

I think someone with the skills could put together a simple alternative to the 89/90 ecu - trouble is not much demand

what do you mean skills what are you trying to do use the wrong ECU, I do not understand that at all. nor the sensors lie from them...90 is 90, all sensors same (facts)
that is not true at all the 90' year GM ECU and Suzuki are the same  ,if you remove the ECU from any tracker the tag on it show that.

You are getting false information,. (no lack of that in the internet, for sure) some sellers are just 3rd parties sell things off fleabay or are fleabay sellers )
the GM does not use GM sensors at all they are all Suzuki. (yes GM has there own P/N) yes);

that is true, the 90 distrib must send the brown wire, output to the ECU or it will never inject that is always true on all cars EFI. or catches fire. (by law too)
the ECU sure does monitor spark, and when dead the ECU cuts all fuel injections dead. all do. every one made.

Yes a megaquirt ECU will inject this engine, heck any engine, even 1960s engine but must be programmed and tuned, on dyno,

(its just one of 1000 of wrecking yards your link
if that is what you want is wreckers us this directly, not using 3parties,

https://car-part.com/

pick geo or suzuki no matter. 
pick engine computer.
bingo. (but......)
the problem is the right suzuki number on the casing of your ECU,  must match, 89/90 year, 4wd and MT.

gm does not sell ECU, now. it ended.
only used and refurbs exist now.  and GM uses the same ECU and sensors, hell made same day in same plant CAMI> with all same parts in fact
the only differences are trim and tag GEO markings. body trim stuff, not on topic here.

I had both cars, I know what the differences are, nothing big, GM IS A BADGED SIDEKICK product.
yes has own fsm and yes own parts list .
The engines are the same, from iwata japan, as is ECU. and all electrics, all the same , 90 GM ,90 suzuki.
This is not A vitara , in Europe with 4 engine types and Alien to us strange distibutors, no. it is a Trackick. as we say.

are you talking using wrong year ECU , i am totally confused by your post.

look at your ECU, hold it in your hands.
see this.
91-95 tracker or sidekick same tag, this is Suzuiki tag,  and same on GEO both,  yours is 60A because zero spark ECU. old. 
other codes are secret Mitsubishi codes, not documented.
[Image: TAG-ecu-real-w1.jpg]
The ECU must match your car.
the 91, has many changes (8v)
a newer Throttle body and injector and new ISC that and ISC coil resistance not the same 2x different.
The ECU not runs all spark with a direct ignitor. and runs advance.
The ECU will only work on lacking 91 distributors, and if the 91 ECU can not sees proper advanced spark it sets, it will fail. hard.
The EGR is not the same nor EVAP nor o2 sensors.
The pin out the ECU to harness is not the same.
it will take more than skills. to use the wrong ECU, my list is short.
Thanks for the reply Fixkick, Without question, your knowledge on this subject is far superior to mine. Just looking at this with new eyes. Here is a bit of background - I proposed the question of replacing the 89/90 Suzuki sidekick /tracker ecu with a (yet TBD) similar application GM ecu to a gentleman at Dynamic FI http://www.dynamicefi.com/ . and/or https://affordable-fuel-injection.com/?g...8oQAvD_BwE The question was rather general as equal to the reply. The purpose of the question: Those, like myself, that have limited funds for fixing our rigs have (had) the idea of the rig being a “budget off road rig”. This goes out the door when we are spending hundreds of dollars on the ECU alone. Combine that with the ever decreasing numbers of ecu’s that fit this application (as you pointed out) the hunt becomes just that a hunt – never a found! – no joy there. I also want something reliable -, As I noted in my OP the truck has been incredibly reliable, then it just quite - while idling in the garage. I got to thinking, what if this happened 2 weeks prior while I was out scouting sites 30 miles from cell service? My old carb/point dist. relic could always get going somehow but ecu fail with no prior signs is a nervous thought. The truck is a brick without the ECU. My thought was, IF a GM (or ford or Chrysler /honda –whatever) ecu from some yet TBD POPULAR model vehicle could be adapted to work in the tracker/sidekick it would be a sunny day in the PNW! Imagine being able to visit most any junk yard and finding an ecu that would work in the truck. Maybe a pin swap here or there and a couple sensors from same donor or at least readily available to purchase new on the cheap –whatta great thought hence my inquiry at the forementioned websites. Living in KALIFONIA I am likely a bit more concerned about having a working ecu than others. We still must pass smog inspection on cars 1976 and newer here. Luckily the 89/90 vintage rigs are inspected only visually for smog devices, timing checked and run on a dyno with a sniffer. So if ecu is working clean –all GTG! OBD 2 not the same song here. The shame of living in
CA is a subject for another forum………
I’d appreciate your thoughts on pirating an ECU from another vehicle brand and adapting it to work on the 89/90 model specifically. Id also like to learn of any aftermarket ecu that would / may fill the void of the ever decreasing supply and increasing cost of an OE ecu.
rjm
(10-02-2020, 06:02 AM)rjm Wrote: Thanks for the reply Fixkick, Without question, your knowledge on this subject is far superior to mine. Just looking at this with new eyes. Here is a bit of background - I proposed the question of replacing the 89/90 Suzuki sidekick /tracker ecu with a (yet TBD) similar application GM ecu to a gentleman at Dynamic FI http://www.dynamicefi.com/  . and/or  https://affordable-fuel-injection.com/?g...8oQAvD_BwE The question was rather general as equal to the reply.  The purpose of the question: Those, like myself, that have limited funds for fixing our rigs have (had) the idea of the rig being a “budget off road rig”.  This goes out the door when we are spending hundreds of dollars on the ECU alone. Combine that with the ever decreasing numbers of ecu’s that fit this application (as you pointed out) the hunt becomes just that a hunt – never a found! – no joy there. I also want something reliable -, As I noted in my OP the truck has been incredibly reliable, then it just quite - while idling in the garage. I got to thinking, what if this happened 2 weeks prior while I was out scouting sites 30 miles from cell service? My old carb/point dist. relic could always get going somehow but ecu fail with no prior signs is a nervous thought. The truck is a brick without the ECU. My thought was, IF a GM (or ford or Chrysler /honda –whatever) ecu from some yet TBD  POPULAR model vehicle could be adapted to work in the tracker/sidekick it would be a sunny day in the PNW! Imagine being able to visit most any junk yard and finding an ecu that would work in the truck. Maybe a pin swap here or there and a couple sensors from same donor or at least readily  available to purchase new on the cheap –whatta great thought  hence my inquiry at the forementioned websites. Living in KALIFONIA I am likely a bit more concerned about having a working ecu than others. We still must pass smog inspection on cars 1976 and newer here.  Luckily the 89/90 vintage rigs are inspected only visually for smog devices, timing checked and run on a dyno with a sniffer. So if ecu is working clean –all GTG! OBD 2 not the same song here. The shame of living in
CA is a subject for another forum………
I’d appreciate your thoughts on pirating an ECU from another vehicle brand and adapting it to work on the 89/90 model specifically. Id also like to learn of any aftermarket ecu that would / may fill the void of the ever decreasing supply and increasing cost of an OE ecu.
rjm
find a carb put it on and run it.
you already have spark for free. (mr.dizzy does that with own VR sensor and own ignitor and advance mech)

find carb and tune it.
no lack of carbs, even off motorcycles.

but carb kits are not easy to find .

now lets talk alien ECU, will what would that be, answer toyota,  over 40 million 1.6 made called  Toy Corolla, more of these made than any car on earth
read that as endless new and used parts, find one and adapt  it.
the hard part (besides lots of wiring mods) is spark if the ECU can not control spark it will go mad,  spark and fuel are 3D maps in the firmware,
if the MAP (array of data means) is not indexed correctly it fails.  see what I mean?  if not study tuning a MegaSquirt ECU.

they have custom tuning on most of these now, done by hackers, nobody hacks G16B suz.
lots do TOY. huge it is.
I will look in my manuals, 1985 to 1999 for something that can work 1.6L. (or near)  for sure all sensors need to be changed, and spark issues and injector, are not the same.   The best ECU is MAP sensor based, not MAF.  MAP is far more easy. like yours is.

more later.
you need to use 1.6L so the data 3d maps (tuning) will work in firmware or if not have to re tune it. your self. (and burn EPROMS to get there)
Lets start year 1985, toyota were some of the first Asian cars with EFI. (digital not analog like 1978 VW had)
1985 is carb but ecm controlled car, buzzzz fail.
4A-FE (is EFI injected) 4F-F is carb, 1987. year. USA introduction EFI, in MPI form,. not TBI
AT171 Carina II 1987–1992 (Europe only)
. It was manufactured between 1987–2001
you will not want to put 4 toy injectors on Any TBI intake manifold. I bet.
the distributors are all pure electric unlike suzuki, makes its own spark
the clincher is TBI, 1 injector ECU not not common. (aka: SPI) single point injection.

nothing can be more cheap than a carb and hard work tuning it for alien engine, (rejetted)
if off 1.6L it might just be ok as is.
iw will not be street legal in any calif smog test. EFI gone. ECU gone, carb in place. fails visual and fails Im240 sniffer test. easy fail.
offroad , do as you want, for sure private land.

Finding TBI ECU is not easy, I will look it up. never tired before. but spark is the big killer next,
most ECU made control all spark factors, ECU ignitor direct control and advance and if distributor fails to do what it is told , HELL TO PAY.

TBI was used extensively on American-made passenger cars and light trucks in the 1980 to 1995 timeframe
S10 pickups.
86 to 92 Nissans.

nothing beats a carb for simple and easy fix if float valve sticks open or closed, and spare fuel pump in trunk tool box.
no filty old fuel,

Carb is the way, finding one that is not a wreck for 1980s is best. before carbs ended here. no electronic carbs need apply only real.
find wrecked harley and jerk the CV carb off it, no carb made on earth so easy to tune,

most are now gone CV, and only new ones at huge prices, do to demand for kicking EFI of some cars. (for the lack of spare parts)
CV means constant velocity carbs with 1 long needle and variable Vinturi... (genius design and loved by me)
I used to tune MG car (UK maker) in the 1960s, SU carbs in pairs and balanced and all that.... and fun.