Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idle high after cleaning throttle body and lashing valves...
Thanks Fixkick! Idle was working normal prior to me doing the service on the valves. During that service I took off the throttle body, sidewinder tube and air intake hose. So, those are my prime suspects.

I need some remedial troubleshooting here as I've never tried to solve a vacuum leak.

1. When I pinched the ISC air line, I saw the rpm drop. Is this good or bad? What should I expect on a car with no leaks? How do I tell if this line has an air leak? If that valve is at aprox 50% at hot idle, I would expect it to drop the rpm. So, while I saw rpm drop, I wasn't sure if this is good or bad.

2. If I pinch other hoses and the rpm drops does that mean that hose is leaking? There's a little one that goes into the top of the throttle body and one that goes from the main air line into the valve cover.

3. The only screw I turned is the one under the rubber cap on top back of the TB.

4. If I run propane around the hoses, I wasn't sure how high it should be set. Should you have a lot of propane flowing out or just a slight hiss if fine? Should it be coming out strong enough as if you were going to light it?

5. Is it possible that someone set the idle higher and higher as the throttle body was getting full of carbon? That pathway of the fuel air screw under the rubber cap was full of carbon as well as the entire TB.

thanks,
John
95 Geo Tracker, Build Date 1/95,16v, Fed, Cami, 4x4, MT, Headed for Grenada.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Idle high after cleaning throttle body and lashing valves... - by cosmic_splatter - 08-23-2014, 01:02 AM