Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wits End....ready to crush it-(96 Tracker miss)
(04-29-2021, 12:56 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 09:06 AM)[email protected] Wrote: If anyone can help, I'd prolly send you a case of beer (if you are of age)....72yo.

So I inherited a '96 Tracker (1.6L, 16v) from my father in law.  One owner but years ago it over heated or something terrible went wrong with it and he decided to try and fix it himself.  He dis-assembled the head and there it sat in his garage for 10+ years.  Recently his health declined and I decided to try and revive her....Little did I know what I was getting myself into.  

Here we are 6 months later and still do not have a 100% running vehicle.

I bought a brand new long block from Autozone and pieced it back together.  It was in about 100 pieces in his garage.

Now its got a miss on all cylinders and is running way too rich.  I tried everything I can think of....

It has new:

Fuel injectors (2 sets actually)
New fuel regulator
New temp sensor
Tried a distributor off another Tracker (used)
Tried a MAF sensor off another Tracker (used)
New Radiator
New battery
New fuel pump-the fuel tank was completely gummed up, I removed the tank, cleaned it, replaced the filter.  

I've set the timing a dozen times (set it to base timing using the connector at the front of the vehicle)
Check the timing belt alignment from the factory
Checked fuel pressure-30 or so and goes up when vacuum is pinched

Ive given up and taken it to two different shops even and I never use shops unless something needs special equipment like an alignment.....one charged me a boat load to replace the intake gasket they claimed was the problem (which slightly helped) and the second is scratching their heads at this point after checking everything I have.

The return fuel line was blocked for awhile with debris which I fixed (removed fuel line and cleared).....

I'm ready to give up on it at this point.....but have dumped too much $$$ to do so.

I even have a used ECU coming but I do not think its going to help.  

This thing should run purr like a kitten!

Any one have any suggestions?  It randomly misses on all cylinders at idle (800 RPM).

m
most of these cars fail ECU for bad caps.
some  leak acid, other look perfect but are dry in inside and are dead at 0uF.
those bad makes ECU reboot constantly and that will misfire

why think the distributor is not bad.  pr bad sparkl coil inside it., or or rare, cmp bad inside it too. or bad ground under hood. all.
not scanning the ECU, looking for  p03xx codes,  as engine misfires  is huge missed (no pun)  clue not looking.

sure spark plugs, HV wire sets new, sure gapped at 0.028" and NEVER out of the box 0.045" dead wrong.

that is all I can think of

02 sensor ok front, not stuck at 0v with cracked #4 exhaust tube header, stock does that.

EGR not sticking open. (at idle)
misfires hot and cold, ? or at idle, or accel or wot "?

the question is , does spark misfire or is it fuel mix wrong gross when it misfires.
first see if it is spark scan it.

good  luck to you

Yeah, it did have a P0300 code-General misfire....not much help there....

EGR was checked (the first shop said it was ok)

It's got new plugs gapped correctly-Ive had to take them out 10x and clean them off due to the misfire and the wires are also brand new.

The original distributor was clearly left out in some weather as it had signs of rust on it.  I put a new cap/rotor on it and cleaned it as best I could.  For this reason that is why I tried one I got at the bone yard....it ran the same on either.

O2 sensor seems to be tracking correctly as far as voltages....second shop told me that.....

Yeah, I agree that I'm not positive if:

-Its running rich because of spark
    Or
    It's misfiring because of too much fuel

My gut (and both shops) says it's too much fuel.

Ive also wondered if when the fuel return line was blocked and the pressure was too high if it damaged injectors....I don't know if that's even possible 

Lastly, seems like the misfire is worse at low RPM and it runs much better over 2k....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wits End....ready to crush it-(96 Tracker miss) - by [email protected] - 04-29-2021, 01:42 PM