Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap
Ardunio digital I/o ports, not analog
this  is first, for sure, programming (sketching?)
the I/O mode set is key to success, if wrong this then your code is worthless (the input and outputs both must be right)
we did this at Intel (I worked there for 6 years as tech) with 8255 chip, way ahead in time then. (cutting edge)
(flow chart, linear: input wrong pcm ,>> process signals >>> output what new TACHO meter wants to see.)
this includes polarity and wave form shapes and even duty cycle  and if we must count up or down to make the tachometer work.

this post is what to do after learning the original PCM outputs(tacho out).

https://idyl.io/arduino/how-to/manipulat...ino-ports/

the output pin  can be set to totem pole outputs or open drain ,  the latter needs pull-up resistor work. Totem Pole outputs are super clean square waves by design.
in all cases for you the totem pole out is best.
and input pin set to input only and with pull up mode set,
the arduino comes in 2 forms, 3.3 volt outputs or 5v.  but there work on 12vdc input tachs, see?
so a buffer is used, to do that . (we will do that later, after we know what the signals mUST to work into the unknown tacho meter of any kind.
best is the 5vdc Arduino this is because 5v outputs can more easily drive,  the gate on many powerful Mosfet transitors.
no idea what Arduino you have.

good write up is here, many others are weak. See how GPIO pins work .(super good in fact , even teaches defaults on pins) wow.

see this on making Arduino  to drive powerful  singles or higher voltages than 5v at 40mA.

this is getting way ahead of my self and we need to use the scope first on the original ECU > Meter, (tacho) to see what is THERE.
guessing will not work and that is where the scope comes in.

the best way to Sketch is start simple  write a loop that toggles and output pin and scope it , then you know it works and sketch on from there.

end Arduino things.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap - by fixkick - 12-20-2020, 05:24 AM