Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap
Thank you for being so active on here! It feels so nice knowing that there is someone with a lot more knowledge and is also willing to share it!

Now on to the fun part.

Yesterday I pulled off the wiring harness to help my dad, but I had to drop off the missus at her parents' house, so I had to leave. My dad pulled the engine today and took off the oil pan. He said there were tons of debris stuck to the bottom of the pan and most likely they are inside the engine now, so a good rinse is needed. Bearings are shot, he said little to no scoring on the cylinder walls, crank is fine too. The bearings seem to be the same part number as the J20 and H25, so I hope they won't be hard to get. I will tell him to check the stuff you mentioned too. Just because there was one problem, doesn't mean there couldn't be more!

My guess as to what happened. My dad took a part of the bottom of the G16 pan and the top part of the J18 pan and welded both parts together, since the oil pick up needs to be at the back as it is in the G16, but the J18 had a front pick up. He also extended the oil pickup pipe. My guess is that while cutting and welding particles were flying off and sticking to the crank and other metal parts. My dad told me that he cleaned the pan itself, but not the engine(the whole engine was under a rag). I guess we had it coming, and only have ourselves to blame.

I don't have a timing light to check the timing, but we marked the stock position and moved the CMP about 5deg clockwise (when standing in front of the engine) to retard the timing. The issue persisted, but the car was a little down on power. Oh and I also didn't wire up the test switch terminal on the ECU to the diagnostic plug, since I didn't know what it was for, but I'm beginning to realize my mistake, so I'll get it hooked up asap.

Once again thanks a bunch! I'm new to this whole car electronics thing, but I am really keen to learn. I have some experience dealing with Bosch EDC15/16 diesel ECUs and Siemens MS Petrol ECUs(both BMW, since that's what I've had access to) so if by any chance, some day, you need help with these systems, I'd be happy to share all knowledge that I have! I feel kind of guilty just asking for help and not giving any in return.

Regards!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap - by maroka - 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM