Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap
You seem to have guessed the pin right as the color also matches. But the pin numbers don't match up, not only in that schematic. They don't match my ECU in any schematic I've ever looked at for these engines. I used a write up on some forum I found, I still have the file, so I'll post it. It seems that the ECUs for the Balenos had their own pinouts which do not seem to be documented. It's not spot on, but it matched 90% of the pins on my ECU.

About the immo delete, yes I used an emulator. You also have to mod the contents of an EEPROM on the board for it to work. My guess is that the emulator just prevents the contents of the EEPROM from being changed. I still get an error 83 and a CEL which is kind of annoying. I've read that on the plastic box Denso ECUs, you can just remove this EEPROM and the car starts and runs fine. Some people report having to disconnect the Immo box, some say you can leave it plugged in. In my case, I just didn't end up running the data wire from the J18s ECU to the Mitsubishi immo module, so you could say I left it unplugged. And many people also suggest unplugging the module. I might try adding this connection later on just to see if the car still works and whether the CEL disappears. It seems that the wire is shared between the ECU, Immo box and OBD connector under the dash, I guess it's some sort of a bus.

I am currently out of town but will order the scope immediately after coming home. I am really curious as to why this ECUs rpm output signal didn't directly drive the tach.

Attached Files
.docx   baleno wiring.docx (Size: 13.82 KB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap - by maroka - 09-02-2020, 09:35 AM