Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitara 1991 brake booster replacement
it is true, working on any car, one needs spare gaskets or you end up with dead car. (sure can happen)
many gaskets tear to death , as parts come off, this is well known for sure 29 year old gaskets, that are old hard brittle, and like Graham Crackers now)
but to be accurate we can plug up every hose or pinch them closed to see if they leak. (RPM changes)
not PCV (new valve and new hose is best here)
and NOT MAP, hand tested see below .

brake booster is harder, takes a cork to the pipe/hose pulled.
no air leaks allowed. all paths blocked by mechanic now...
when doing this and hot idle is at 1500rpm? (AC off, all hot fast idle pins on ECU are not active)89/90 is tricky.
once any leak is cured by you, the ISC wakes up, (servo does) and like magic 800 RPM happens. (what if there is 2 or 3 leaks, well 29yr old cards do that)

seen one cars, TB with internal, freeze damage, owner had weak or pure water in the RAD and ice formed in the TB and cracked up the IAC section, deep inside where no eyeballs can go. 20f day and it cracked.

how did I prove that? (no picnic)
I closed off all leaking hoses, with golf TEE's, then new gaskets. related.

then I knew the TB is bad. (no spare TB nor $1300 for new one from Suzuki)
so I then make sure the TV is closed, (like day one I did this first, after all seen vast no touch screws set wrong endless)

I then blocked the IAC ports in the top TB cap, (on one car this fixed idle, ISC stuck open at 180f) bad ISC =.bad TB.
next:
I ended up with all possible leaks blocked by me.,but just TB fails.
(map sensor and its hose tested with hand vacuum pump tool and did not leak) nor did PCV leak. and its hose !~
a new Intake to head gasket was changed too. (this can fail, 29 year old gaskets are never good, not really)

leaving only 1 possible air leakage point, yes, leaks can be that hard.
that is why shops use a smoke machine, and is very hard to evaluate , needs full documents on TB to know what can leak and what must not leak.
on A/T car, the vacuum modulator hose must be plugged first they love to leak. not seen on stick shift car sure.

that is the full story , even on the most hard case ever seen by me.

and in all cases ECU flashes 12's first, never diagnose idle RPM with LIMPHOME SET, there are no idle controls in LIMP! (suz-fail-safe -mode)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vitara 1991 brake booster replacement - by fixkick - 07-21-2020, 11:40 PM