Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 8v TBI - TPS rich Misfire - Need help.
Wow, Thank you for all the info.

Let me start off with answering some of your questions.

1) 3000 to 3200 rpm hesitation when under partial throttle is on flat ground in any gear and any speed as long as its at 3200 rpm or so and at a very specific throttle position holding steady. If I give it more gas the air fuel ratio returns to 12.1 and running correctly or if I let off the throttle the air fuel ratio also then returns to normal.

2) I believe this engine is a 91-95 as setting the tps was quite easy with your reference guide.

3) I don't not have to worry about the catalytic converter. It has no exhaust it is just a down pipe. It had a working original upstream 02 sensor but I broke a wire by accident Confused and have since replaced it with a brand new 02 sensor and verified that it works as I can see the air fuel ratio change with it unplugged. The wideband 02 sensor is mounted about 2.5 feet down stream. Note: I just put a turbo on it but these hesitation problems have existed even before the turbo and the broken 02 sensor. All my testing is under normal atmospheric pressures when driving. No boost as all. Just been taking things slow.

4) Too high fuel pressure  is your fuel pump stock, or some crazy high  GPM rated pump off some v8 engine car or worse? (race pump hype) - Not a race or high gpm pump. It was a factory replacement fuel tank with oem style in tank pump purchased for my samurai. Came from india. It was probably meant for the EFI Gypsy/samurai. It works perfectly. Car stars up and runs great every time. Does not run rich at all at idle or cruising as long as I don't hit that specific 3200 rpm. Does not smell rich or anything even without the mufflers or cat. The computer always keeps it at or near 14.7 AFR.

5) FPR,  bad, fuel pressure regulator, bad, many this old are just NO GOOD now,  does the vacuum port leak fuel ,yes, it is bad. - I have not tested the fuel pressure yet but I have not observed any leaks and the vehicle does not show any signs of fuel issues outside of that specific rpm and throttle steady position at 3200 rpm. I will test this to see what it is doing.

6) injector is leaking and bad - I have not seen any leaks nor do I smell any fuel from it. Seems ok from general running conditions. Never floods and always starts like a champ.

7) Injector o-rings (x2) are cracked or just leaking fuel. - Have not observed fuel leaks related to o rings yet.

8) MAP bad, or hose to it clogged or cracked or leaking. (on 89  kicks has filter here, omg bad) - The hose looks like it is in good condition but I can replace it. It seems to have a small black check valve / filter in it. Should I remove it?

9) O2 bad or manifold to it cracked and leaking (it sucks air after each putt if cracked and 02 sensor goes MAD/nuts) - The 02 sensor is a brand new working part. verified. No leaks from mount location. All brand new. I tig welded the new bung myself. I will test how it runs today without the 02 sensor.

10) ECT stuck low temp so the ECU think  engine cold and goes SUPER rich but, 300ohms is 180f water temp , get engine hot , pull plug to it and sensor reads 300 ohms , yes? - I will double check the wiring to make sure it is working. The sensor is brand new but I will verify the ohms range. It holds temperature perfectly. New radiator, hoses, pump, thermostat and gaskets. Never overheats....

11) IAT, bad, will cause slight error but this too is one more ECU input for fueling, if reads low (temp)  more fuel is added. and you have too much fuel. - I will check and see but why would this cause the error at a specific rpm and throttle position?

12) running wrong TB on this car? I'm noodling the possible Frankenkick issues - As far as I know no but I will verify with again with your online pictures. But I believe it is a 91-95 engine with mostly stock parts on it outside of my turbo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1.6 8v TBI - TPS rich Misfire - Need help. - by eddieturbo2 - 02-22-2020, 02:46 AM