Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp
(07-26-2019, 08:42 AM)thebanjoman Wrote: OK... 

The 2nd Scan tool is showing the same readings by comparison.

But I realize now I may have made very large mistake.  

When I moved the coolant tube that houses the SENDER and the ECT SENSOR from the J18 to the J23 
(This tube runs from the back of the motor to the front and into the radiator)  I just moved the 
tube, KEEPING the ECT SENSOR for the J18 in place..

Well    This MAY be the reason why the temps are being reported so high..

The ECT SENSOR is DIFFERENT between the J18 and J23  ( I looked it up at Rock Auto . comparing vendor part numbers)

ECT on J18 motor (when in the Sidekick) is 3 wire
ECT on J23 motor (when in the Aerio) is 2 wire  

Could the ECT itself that I have in now be bad, generating values that are reporting incorrect, IE high temps?

progress, 2 tools show the same value so that means
wrong ECT or the engine is overheating well for sure  thermostat being out of control, not at 180f as it must be.
why only remains.

Suzuki done not use 1 ect.
the 3wire version is 2 ECT's one for the PCM brain, and OBD2 and the second sensor is only for the gauge.
2 different cars, can I assume you car is all  J18, wired?  J18 PCM , J18 ECT, only this works
the ECT is just  thermistor,  on the G16 300ohms is 180F.   on the J18 I do not have the spec on it. but most cars and engines generations use different, ECT.

you must not use the wrong ECT on that J18 PCM.

if your PCM is  dash 77Enn or 78Enn  (nn is for transmission type.)
here they are.

https://fixkick.com/ECU/EPC-ECU96-98/all..._page1.jpg

not sure on your plumbing.  but the ECT must be at the rear of head exit hot water Port, and most be ECT J18, 1996 to 1998 (what ever car was , must be)

size and pin counts are not all there is , what thermistor is inside matters MOST.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp - by fixkick - 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM