Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put in rebuilt engine 2 items...
(06-06-2019, 03:15 PM)hyrific Wrote: I have a 94 2 door sidekick with the 8 valve engine and 3 speed auto.  I just put in a rebuilt engine and two things are acting strange:

1. The RPM gauge is acting funny on the dash.  It does not work in forward drive.  It works in Park and reverse.  This is very strange to me.  Anyone have any ideas why the dash would show rpm's accurately in park and reverse but not drive?  (even car moving fast?) reads low, dead, or? wanders? the needle.?

2. My throttle cable (not the kickdown cable) has a second wire with a small metal ball on the end.  I could not figure out where this second piece was supposed to go?  Anyone know what this is for?  None of the pictures of the able online show this second piece.

Also a huge thanks for the site.  Was super useful when pulling and replacing the engine.
this car can have the cruise control option and 3 cables at the TB throttle valve.  id need  photo yours to really be accurate.  1,2, and 3 cables are normal 1 = 5speed very common.
the Tachometer is really a analog gauge, that only measures primary ignition coil pulses.(brown wire) for RPM  so has no idea (logic) of how shifter is sitting
but , when you shift from park to Rev, or drive, the engine goes under huge load and is due to the TC clutch stalled on output side, and 3L30 transmission oil pump load.

this will cause the RPM to fall greatly in drive (gear) (and RPM is heard, felt or seen at engine belts) at the engine, if the Idle controls are dead. (ISC =ECU) RPM will fall fast.

first off?
key on , CEL lamp must glow does it?
the go out running.
then with the diagnostic paper jump clip inserted into the next to main battery DCL the CELL then flashes out code 12  (for ok)

good luck to you!

PS some tachos, this old do fail, the Capacitors inside it dry out and make it read wrong, or dead.
if the ECU goes into limphome mode, idle controls are suspended. and will fail ISC regulation checks. (mostly worse on automatic transmissions )
another test for ISC actions, is in park, hot engine 800rpm is normal hot. and you turn on head lamps and heater fan full speed at same time, this load, added should not cause RPM drop,.(if have rear frost that even add more load) (alternator loads)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by hyrific - 06-06-2019, 03:15 PM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by fixkick - 06-06-2019, 08:11 PM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by hyrific - 06-08-2019, 05:23 AM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by fixkick - 06-08-2019, 09:06 AM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by fixkick - 06-08-2019, 09:11 AM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by hyrific - 06-10-2019, 01:37 PM
RE: Put in rebuilt engine 2 items... - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 05:37 AM