Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No choke/high revs when cold
welcome Steve
that is an old car. with the early TBI single injection and none ECU controlled spark (ECU does fuel only)
Vitara is the correct worldly name. just not here , then.
ok loss of power, (are spark tips black or white?) try new spark plugs yet?
is check engine light on key on, and off running.?
there is no choke on EFI, but the ECU runs many modes of fueling, cold start , cold run, warm run, hot run, and acceleration, and cruise (closed loop)
Cold start is cold rich mode and uses the ECT to tell what the weather is today, if say in Sibera, super super rich, if say in key west florida, tiny rich.
to start.
about 100 times smarter than any choke ever made and is tuned to fuel vapor point specs.
That is why EFI can get 20% better efficiency of any carb car, and more mpg and more power.
One this engine, the distributor (with firewall coil) makes all spark and all ADVANCE the old school way, do a tuneup? cap/rotor, wires, plugs"?

(09-03-2016, 04:25 AM)Juicy Steve Wrote: Hi all,

I've got a 90 Vitara (as its called in Europe) 1.6i 8v

Recently I've noticed that on turnover (crank?) I don't get revs up to 2000ish until the engines warm like I used to.
It seems to be running a bit lean.
in not sure what turnover means, here in usa its crank over, starter motor cranking and engine.
some call idling turn over,
it cranks, it turns, it starts, it runs and the ECU sustains idle.

As a result, the engine can struggle a bit until up to temperature. (are you saying cold engine lacks power but hot engine has full power (80hp is full)
?

A bit annoying as I live in a really hilly area, and it can stutter accelerating uphill when I leave the house. that is easy that is called misfire.
but is that a hot or cold engine misfire??????? that dash gauge tells you hot or cold, hot is upper end of scale,
first and foremost does the engine get to 180f water temp and hold. called a normal hot engine, it must or the ECU will go nuts.

I've recently had a refurbed ECU as that died, and a new fuel filter. I also ran injector cleaner through recently just to be sure.

I'm not sure if the injection model has an auto choke or if it was another system causing the high revs, but what ever it was, it isn't now.

Any ideas where I should start looking?! I can't find anyone else with this problem online!

yes the new car , starts, and runs, then the 5 t0 15 second fast idle device races engine real fast 2000?, called the Dashpot, mounted on rear or TB
TB = throttle body with its single injector

then it races about 1500 rpm after the dash pot retracts in seconds.
this 1500 is the RPM caused by the ISC thermal valve in the base of the TB, and is open below 150f water temp.

when the water (coolant) crosses 150F (65c) the valve closes and the ECU takes over idle speeds, using the ISC valve, (2 wires there) and is 800 RPM, is regulated now, in a closed servo way.
the 800, is only with all accessories off, but if some are on, it's 950 rpm? head lights, heater blower, defrost, AC on, etc. (all rpm here are _+50rpm variances)
the 950 is called hot fast idle mode.

ok misfire.
misfire, can be spark related, (or too rich fuel)
or ECU struck in limphome CEL glowing away, ignored or worse a dead CEL LAMP, called backup mode, both are super rich modes, and black spark tips , misfiring and stinking rich smell from exhaust, and if CAT present, it glows cherry red. up hills.

loss of power from misfire is not lean, that is
bogging is lean, and like dragging a dead weight, a smooth dead loss of power,
misfire is violent, and is bad spark or super super rich mixtures.
Super rich can make any spark plug misfire, even new one.s.

that is about it.
keep in mind i need to know engine temps, for all symptoms....

questions in order
1: does the CEL glow keyon (aka, SES or MIL, check engine light) service engine soon, etc. lamp, all are same, regardless of names.
2: when start engine does the CEL go out.?
3: when symptoms happen is engine fully hot, ?
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 09-03-2016, 04:25 AM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by fixkick - 09-03-2016, 05:26 AM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 10-17-2016, 01:21 AM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by fixkick - 10-17-2016, 04:47 AM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 10-17-2016, 10:14 PM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 10-17-2016, 10:28 PM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by fixkick - 10-18-2016, 05:38 AM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by fixkick - 10-19-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 10-19-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: No choke/high revs when cold - by Juicy Steve - 10-19-2016, 09:53 PM