Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine finally runs OK, but no real power!
Dear Fixkick
In continuation of replacing my son’s Sidekick’s engine, as per your suggestion in my last thread, I checked the TDC at cylinder 1, at the firing cycle, with the valve lash loose, and that was correct. If you recall, you told me the backfiring I was getting would have been due to the TDC not necessarily having been at cylinder 1 being at its firing cycle, when dizzy’s dial was at 11 PM.
However, what had happened, one of the nuts on one of the valves had come loose! After fixing that and checking all valve lashes, and ensuring that the distributor’s dial is at 11 PM at the TDC at cylinder 1 at firing order (I also used the tool that you have a picture of in one of your pages for establishing a cylinder’s maximum travel to its top; TDC), I started the car. In the beginning there were lots of huffs and puffs (I am not sure whether it is dues to the gas in the car being 8 months old?!) However, after warming up, the number of backfiring sounds diminished to almost zero. However, in comparison to past, the engine vibrates a lot in my opinion. I captured a video of it running; But the site does not allow me to load the file due to its size. I can mount it on my Drobox and send you an email to permit you seeing it; however, for that I need your email! Is there any other way I can sen you the file? Its size is 191 Mb.
When the car is accelerated in PARK, the RPM goes up and everything sounds reasonably OK; however, as soon as it goes to any gear, it shuts off, unless a bit of acceleration is applied. Even then, there is not power, when it is in drive, and it barely reaches 15 MPH, despite the compression test revealed that I have a minimum of 155 psi in each cylinder.
I checked the timing with the strobe light, and it is set at 8 deg. BTDC. I am really baffled as what is the cause of this problem now? I would appreciate receiving your views on this issue.
BTW, I checked engine’s code, and registers 12. I also have Rhino’s cable and software. No particular issue can be seen through that software (although, to be honest, I do not understand the values from most sensors’ reported by the software.
Cheers,
Zackman
[color=#800080][b]91 Sidekick JX, 8V, S. Carolina Car, 2 dr, 3 speed Auto Trani, Halifax, NS, Canada[/b][/color]

Messages In This Thread
Engine finally runs OK, but no real power! - by Zackman - 02-01-2016, 11:15 PM