Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor MPG
Hi all, I have noticed MPG went down on my Tracker. I calculated it went down to 20.5 MPG in the last fill up.

Here are some things I know I have to fix. I'm just wondering which one is the poor MPG directly related to?

- CEL is on for code P0420. I think this is from an old exhaust leak around the cat. Downstream oxygen sensor is fairly new and last I checked the cat visually it wasn't clogged. I have one of those inspection cameras I want to use to see if the cat is not melted. I think I can insert the camera either from the back where the pipe meets the muffler or the more labor intensive method of unbolting the down-pipe from the bottom of the exhaust manifold and insert the camera there.

- CEL is on for code P0400. This one recently came on, I knew I had the P0420 but not this one. I will clean EGR and passages the best I can without removing intake manifold.

- Speedometer is slow. Every time I come to a complete stop and start going again it takes about 3 seconds to start working, once it starts it works fine. This one is new for me, I've been reading about this and it seems it may be the metal cup broken behind the cluster?

There are no other symptoms, car starts right up, it does not miss a beat. No bogging or anything like that. I do not want to spend too much on fixing this but I want to get it running right again. I'm moving abroad and will end up selling the Tracker in the next couple of months anyway.
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c

Messages In This Thread
Poor MPG - by gorkyb - 02-24-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Poor MPG - by fixkick - 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM
RE: Poor MPG - by gorkyb - 02-26-2015, 02:30 AM
RE: Poor MPG - by fixkick - 02-26-2015, 03:18 AM