Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1993 Sidekick 1.6 16 valve no start after head gasket replacement
My sidekick blew the head gasket and I pulled the head per FSM but when I got to the head bolts only the passenger side were torqued, way over torqued I might add. The drivers side row was less than 20 ft/lbs as I was trying to stage up in my torque and it just turned. Thought oh maybe it was just the first one sh*t happens...... Nope the whole row was extremely loose. ( sorry long story, but I want to explain the whole thing so everyone gets a clear picture) Inspect the head and it is warped stress relieve it in a bake to get it within .0005" so I surface it and clean thoroughly. Install per FSM specs, torque staging up from 24 ft/lbs to 54 ft/lbs in three stages, install cam with assembly lube and check lash .006-.007 as the .006 was snug and the .008 would not go. I'm thinking this will be beautiful so I torque the manifolds on & install the new water pump and timing belt kit. First rotation I was a cog off so I made sure to pull the tension out and the second try came out beautiful. Engine turned over smoothly. Assembled the front of the engine and tried to start it. No fire so I looked and the distributor plug was not connected, plugged it in and still nothing, I have checked all of the grounds, valve and ignition timing multiple times compression is 154 psi with throttle at idle and a crappy gauge with rubber thread in connector. This is my daily driver and I am driving my backup hoopty that is about to fall apart. Spark plugs are wet with fuel but sparking via inline and visual detection. Also messed with the FPR and the diaphram seems to move with vacuum. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. I am about to be riding my bicycle 25 miles each way for work!!!!! Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention I have checked a working ECU just for a long shot and only DTC is 12. Double checked that #1 firing was at TDC via compression gauge and visual with valve cover off. Cam is timed via E marks on cam @ 12 o-clock and crank key/mark at 12 o-clock. Totally stumped!!!!!

Messages In This Thread
1993 Sidekick 1.6 16 valve no start after head gasket replacement - by brocklanders - 02-18-2015, 04:01 PM