Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 speedometer
(01-07-2015, 01:54 PM)justinstagl Wrote: Sorry for the long wait, but here is an update. I followed the troubleshooting steps on the repair pages of fixkick and narrowed it down to the MAF sensor. I ordered/received/installed it from rockauto, and it works great. The tracker was running great.
The speedometer reading 40 MPH when stopped was my next target.
So I took out the gauge cluster and brought it inside(its cold outside!).
I then went to remove the speedo needle with a fork, but accidentally bumped it, and it moved back and stayed there.
So i decided to just move it all the way back to zero and re install it. this is the one thing not to do, take off needle ,its now way off calibration.

After reinstalling it and hooking everything back up(cluster/airbags/battery) the tracker is now idling high(1500 RPM in N/Park and 1000-1100 in D/R)
and seems to be wanting to shift at higher RPMs than normal(2500-3000 instead of 2000-2500).
r 4speed.
It seems to me that I have likely de-calibrated my speedo, yes, but that dont change vss ever.
the needle calibration has nothing at all to do with the transmission.

and would need a speedo shop to fix it. no, called many , even in LA.calif. they dont do suzuki's a very rare car,

Am I correct, or is there something I can do to possibly correct this? I have tried putting the speedo back to its original 41 MPH at a stop speed, and that didn't seem to do anything. Any advice? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

the only thing the ECU or TCM (4speed) does is watch, VSS, and vss is just a read switch that clicks 1 time per cable turn.
the needle and the whole mag cup can be removed, and the ECU will run perfectly and so will the TcM.
ill read your old post now to see what car this is.

only one way to cause vss to go slow
just one, a broken speedo cable.
this car is 4speed, and does shift by clicks of vss
if the needle bearings jam and then the cup tilts, then the cup jams the main drive, it my be possible for the cable to snap
or the lower 2 plastic trans tailshaft gears to slip or as on one cable the bottom end of cable has key, this key is crimped to the end and slips
look at my photo again. all the parts from front cup out can be missing. and vss will work 100% perfectly after all its attached to the main drive

just this part clicks, nothing else,, its a mag, reed switch
the cable spins and vss clicks, the vss is direct drive, off cable, the cable can also have a bad top end , that is stripped at tip of cable, causing it to slip.
[Image: speedo-guts2.jpg]

i find used speedo's on ebay,
the bottom sticker number must match
or the rear connect pattern and pin counts match
the internal meter is used on may years, are same.
do not buy one ,with no rear view, and promise photo is real not stock photo.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
1998 speedometer - by justinstagl - 12-23-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: 1998 speedometer - by fixkick - 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: 1998 speedometer - by justinstagl - 12-24-2014, 05:58 AM
RE: 1998 speedometer - by fixkick - 12-24-2014, 06:23 AM
RE: 1998 speedometer - by justinstagl - 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: 1998 speedometer - by fixkick - 01-07-2015, 09:05 PM