Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine turns over but wont start, no spark to plugs
New to the site. Just some background information:
1992 Geo Tracker 2 door convertible, 5 speed, 4x4, A/C and power steering
I bought the Tracker a couple weeks ago and have been fixing parts on it to get it drivable. (new clutch and cable, fuel pump and filter, radiator, etc.) I got it running well and have been driving it with no issues for several days. On the way home last night, went to start the engine this is the sequence of events:

1) Started up and ran for a few seconds, started running rough and died.
2) Smoke started coming out from under the hood, so I raised the hood to see what was going on, nothing noticeable.
3) Tried to start engine again, would turn over but not start
4) At this point, lots of smoke! Jumped out to look, wires were on fire!
5) Got the fire put out. Definitely won't start now.

The wires which caught fire are on left side of engine under intake manifold coming from the 2 VSV. I believe this has the wiring for the O2 sensor (which goes across to the other side of engine) bundled in it as well.

Noticed a fuse was blown in the FI spot but I replaced. It was a 30A (obviously wrong size, should be 15A). I checked all fuse holes in box and they are all getting power with key turned on. I have replaced the wiring for where it caught fire, checked to make sure I am getting power at the VSV plugs now (seem to be getting power now). There were 2 blue wires which got burnt up, one comes from the wire bundle to ECU, the other comes from the distributor plug. Which VSV does the blue wire from distributor plug go to (red or blue)?

Tried to start and nothing. Car will turn over but not start. I checked all spark plugs, NO fire. Checked for power coming out of ignition coil to distributor, I am getting power to distributor with key on.

A few notes from reading information:
- Check engine light has not come on this entire time
- The tach does not move any when trying to crank

Is this an ignition problem or ECU problem? Distributor?
Ignition control Module? Ignition Coil? ECU? not sure where to go from here.

On another note, the engine started having trouble starting first thing before the fire. Would have to turn over engine and pump the gas for a bit to get it going and it would run rough for a few seconds. It didn't do this when I first got it running. Could this be caused by the same issue as the wires catching fire I assume?

I plan to attempt retrieving of codes from ECU when I get home. Thanks in advance for the expertise and help!

Robby

Messages In This Thread
Engine turns over but wont start, no spark to plugs - by robbybobby - 10-30-2014, 06:30 AM