Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitted new engine with loom and ECU... cranks no start
I have fitted an engine, wiring loom, and ECU from a 1997 Vitara (Sidekick) to replace the knackered engine in my 1995 Vitara. All the bits came from the same working car. Today I finished fitting the engine and tried to start it. It cranks but no start.

There's a spark at the plugs. A squirt of engine start fluid starts the car for a few seconds. I loosened the fuel hose to check there's fuel being delivered and there's pressure in the line.

The engine came from a working Vitara with 23'000 genuine miles on the clock and it was all working when I took it out of the donor car. I've connected the ignition lock and immobiliser from the donor car as well so that the immobiliser works. In theory the only thing that has changed as far as the engine is concerned is the chassis/body!

Not sure what to check next. I checked the fuses. The loom is in great and totally original condition, so is the engine. I double checked all the sensors are connected, MAF, EGR etc are all connected. The entire loom from front to rear was replaced.

Could the ECU not be liking something? The car still has the old fuel pump fitted. The car is presently stripped down so the clocks are not fitted, no coolant, no alternator fitted, no mirrors, no clocks. Maybe one of these is required for the ECU to work?

Also, I disconnected the Suzuki immobiliser, and there is still a spark at the plugs. What does the immobiliser actually immobilise?

Messages In This Thread
Fitted new engine with loom and ECU... cranks no start - by rcx348 - 10-11-2014, 04:59 AM