Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
98 JS Sport - Some challenges
(01-23-2014, 05:17 AM)StoneAge Wrote: Good day. I became the proud owner of a 1998 Suzuki JS Sport with the 1.8l VIN JS3TD21V9W4103xxx
I believe it is a US model as the speedometer is in MPH and small KPH. Not necessarily so from what I am learning about this apparently quite rare vehicle.
rare but the 2.0engine parts fit yours, mostly. I can match them up, with p/n.

I have the integrated ball joint lower control arm if that solidifies the animal in question. :-) These need replacing - anyone know a part number - so I can be sure I have the right ones sent? I am in the middle souther Belize with the closest "town" 40 minutes away so getting the wrong part can be more than just a PITA! it is , and make sure they know its the integrated "A" arms for wide chassis Sport no sep. balls.
i wonder if rockauto.com can send to down there...???

I just finished replacing the clutch on it - Oh - 4x4 5 speed - and am now noticing it running rough and missing on steady rpm under load.
Treat it like a race car and it performs fine... 10w-40 and it's tuff enough there..
As much fun as that is - it's got 150,000 miles on it and I don't think she'll take that for long.
Did put a new cylinder head about 5,000 miles ago and a complete refit is the plan.

I had to drill out a broken bolt on the catalytic converter and when it went back together the gasket was, well, I guess partly there.
Parts are hard to get here.
I am wondering if it's the up or down O2 sensor that would be causing this. The down steam is useless there, in Belize.(P042x codes, ignore them)
in this PCM if the upstream fails it shuts down the down stream CAT monitor, seen it.
the up stream run the AFR, and needs to be air leak free.
The CAT is not needed. and P042x, happens ignore that

I could see it being, the down run sensor but the up one? the Upstream (top) sensor runs closed with for 14.7:1 AFR. air fuel ration, cruising.
THE maf runs fast right foot and WOT not in closed loop, the down stream only is for the cat monitor.

Now - I also discovered that my cast exhaust header has a hairline crack between 3/4 cylinder.
That can be welded right? Now - Is my next part to order an O2 sensor? just the top one, they can weld it , when red hot. pro's can.
sometimes the crack is so tight it dont leak hot....

Next question - What if I just got rid of the Catalytic converter? How would that affect my performance, mileage etc..
The MAF system excels at adjusting to no CAT, the engine breaths more and the MAF measure the newer mass air flow and reports it dead on,
if cleaned, keep the maf clean (hidden in Throttle body side) no direct hard force of spray, back a ways,

There's no real need for it down here. Or any law that says I have to have - well, any of this crap... can I just remove it? SURE. Is there an ECU that I can get - or a chip that would fool it into thinking everything is cool?
no need, at all just scan it , and ignore, P042x codes, let the CEL glow all day... but id get close loop working. with the top 02 sensors , i would
it will use less fuel and run like a little Tasmanian devil.

4x4 is a must here - only 4 paved roads and the rest - you can bathe in the potholes and mud pits. Was heading to a friends house about 2 weeks ago and after about a mile of up to the door sill mud puddle (the gooey red clay mud) she stopped going forward.. Spun the tires just a little bit. Shrugged my shoulders, put 'er into 4 wheel high lock and crawled the rest of the way there. (DRAG the brakes, and get free poor mans LSD, draging brakes puts toqure to all 4 wheels at 1 time, light drag, practice, and have FUN ?!)

I LOVE my Suzuki. And with finding out how rare this particular model is.. Makes me want to just keep going with the re-build. has a new cyl head, complete new front end (except Ball Joints - need.
Year old Pirelli scorpions, and all those great save us from the mud stories...
So any help getting her to run better is greatly appreciated. Body lift would be good too, but one thing at a time...

Thanks for any help.
Captain John
S/V Stone Age
Belize.

A arms with balls (shows top makers of them)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframec...type=10401

my one point eight page. more odds and ends.

http://www.fixkick.com/one-point-eight.html

great to here from you in Belize,,,,, i fool around in Peru, every year. (beach) im retired too.

(01-23-2014, 07:01 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 05:17 AM)StoneAge Wrote: Good day. I became the proud owner of a 1998 Suzuki JS Sport with the 1.8l VIN JS3TD21V9W4103xxx
I believe it is a US model as the speedometer is in MPH and small KPH. Not necessarily so from what I am learning about this apparently quite rare vehicle.
rare but the 2.0engine parts fit yours, mostly. I can match them up, with p/n.

I have the integrated ball joint lower control arm if that solidifies the animal in question. :-) These need replacing - anyone know a part number - so I can be sure I have the right ones sent? I am in the middle souther Belize with the closest "town" 40 minutes away so getting the wrong part can be more than just a PITA! it is , and make sure they know its the integrated "A" arms for wide chassis Sport no sep. balls.
i wonder if rockauto.com can send to down there...???

I just finished replacing the clutch on it - Oh - 4x4 5 speed - and am now noticing it running rough and missing on steady rpm under load.
Treat it like a race car and it performs fine... 10w-40 and it's tuff enough there..
As much fun as that is - it's got 150,000 miles on it and I don't think she'll take that for long.
Did put a new cylinder head about 5,000 miles ago and a complete refit is the plan.

I had to drill out a broken bolt on the catalytic converter and when it went back together the gasket was, well, I guess partly there.
Parts are hard to get here.
I am wondering if it's the up or down O2 sensor that would be causing this. The down steam is useless there, in Belize.(P042x codes, ignore them)
in this PCM if the upstream fails it shuts down the down stream CAT monitor, seen it.
the up stream run the AFR, and needs to be air leak free.
The CAT is not needed. and P042x, happens ignore that

I could see it being, the down run sensor but the up one? the Upstream (top) sensor runs closed with for 14.7:1 AFR. air fuel ration, cruising.
THE maf runs fast right foot and WOT not in closed loop, the down stream only is for the cat monitor.

Now - I also discovered that my cast exhaust header has a hairline crack between 3/4 cylinder.
That can be welded right? Now - Is my next part to order an O2 sensor? just the top one, they can weld it , when red hot. pro's can.
sometimes the crack is so tight it dont leak hot....

Next question - What if I just got rid of the Catalytic converter? How would that affect my performance, mileage etc..
The MAF system excels at adjusting to no CAT, the engine breaths more and the MAF measure the newer mass air flow and reports it dead on,
if cleaned, keep the maf clean (hidden in Throttle body side) no direct hard force of spray, back a ways,

There's no real need for it down here. Or any law that says I have to have - well, any of this crap... can I just remove it? SURE. Is there an ECU that I can get - or a chip that would fool it into thinking everything is cool?
no need, at all just scan it , and ignore, P042x codes, let the CEL glow all day... but id get close loop working. with the top 02 sensors , i would
it will use less fuel and run like a little Tasmanian devil.

4x4 is a must here - only 4 paved roads and the rest - you can bathe in the potholes and mud pits. Was heading to a friends house about 2 weeks ago and after about a mile of up to the door sill mud puddle (the gooey red clay mud) she stopped going forward.. Spun the tires just a little bit. Shrugged my shoulders, put 'er into 4 wheel high lock and crawled the rest of the way there. (DRAG the brakes, and get free poor mans LSD, draging brakes puts toqure to all 4 wheels at 1 time, light drag, practice, and have FUN ?!)

I LOVE my Suzuki. And with finding out how rare this particular model is.. Makes me want to just keep going with the re-build. has a new cyl head, complete new front end (except Ball Joints - need.
Year old Pirelli scorpions, and all those great save us from the mud stories...
So any help getting her to run better is greatly appreciated. Body lift would be good too, but one thing at a time...

Thanks for any help.
Captain John
S/V Stone Age
Belize.

A arms with balls (shows top makers of them)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframec...type=10401

my one point eight page. more odds and ends.

http://www.fixkick.com/one-point-eight.html

great to here from you in Belize,,,,, i fool around in Peru, every year. (beach) im retired too.

ps.
If you'd get EGR P400, id fix that, clean the EGR, it keeps the Exhaust valve much cooler. (lasts)

think of your car as and early , 1999 Grand Vitara.
an early preview..... of one.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 01-23-2014, 05:17 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by fixkick - 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by fixkick - 01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 02-18-2014, 04:23 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by fixkick - 02-18-2014, 06:00 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 02-18-2014, 06:30 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 02-18-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: 98 JS Sport - Some challenges - by StoneAge - 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM