Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings
(03-03-2024, 10:20 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 04:05 AM)Trk90 Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 11:02 PM)fixkick Wrote: in 1996 step 7 changed.
there is no TSB covering this change it is a factory change (ghosted)

and nobody asks why the step 7 has GM grease slapped over, Shell koyo grease. (only GM book states that)

Nice! That’s more descriptive than the 1990 GM FSM. Also, I like how they added grease sloppiness to the retainer/bearing in the technical drawing.  

The one thing that bothers me about my retainer ring(s) is that both rubberized FIP gaskets were basically destroyed during removal. So much so that I removed them completely. I’m hoping the RTV does its job but I’ve never had 100% success with RTV. Eventually it leaks or on this case doesn’t seal.

Also, in the 1990 FSM, they call for GM# 1052366 sealant which I believe has been replaced by Threebond 1217h according to the internet. Is the Suzuki bond 1215 a rebranded Threebond product as well?

also the engine oil pan in the SUZ factory is RTV glued on, and then cured and then pressure tested. (no pan gasket used)OEM

the Threebond,  I used on my transmission M/T casings per the FSM. this works great. ( yes is the real maker of Suzuki sealant)
the axles were made in Iwata japan,  i'd bet there is no GM sealants used there in Japan. sure Threebond.
GM's books are very heavily modified, even with errors.

here is my list of errors

http://fixkick.com/IGN_timing/error-galore.html

in some GM FSM books this sealant topic is only covered in the brake pages. 

good luck with yours. some parts are now hard to find.

Thanks!  

Two things worth mentioning…  

First: I wasn’t able to use the inner dust seal. I overlooked the fact that the inner race ridge was removed. They kept the ridge on the outer ring but eliminated it on the inner race. My bad!  

Second: After completing the job, I don’t think the omission of the inner seal will have any effect on lubrication. The bearing fits up against the axle housing and the only open void is the bevel towards the inner oil seal. I added a little extra grease in this area which should be around the bearing retainer ring if I could see it. Smile

I will say that parts are crazy hard to find (unless you use non-Suzuki which aren’t the same in my opinion) and the prices have nearly tripled or more in some instances. Only one of my brake backing plates is still available from Japan and its price is over $450. I have come to the realization that my Tracker is closer to the junkyard than I might think.  

Thanks again for your insight!

Messages In This Thread
Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by Trk90 - 01-23-2024, 11:11 AM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by fixkick - 02-28-2024, 01:02 AM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by fixkick - 02-28-2024, 01:12 AM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by Trk90 - 02-28-2024, 10:56 AM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by fixkick - 02-28-2024, 10:23 PM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by fixkick - 02-28-2024, 11:02 PM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by Trk90 - 02-29-2024, 04:05 AM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by fixkick - 03-03-2024, 10:20 PM
RE: Koyo Rear Wheel Bearings - by Trk90 - 03-20-2024, 05:23 AM