Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed Smog due to high HC. Need help!
Hey guys, 
I have a 1996 Tracker, 2WD, 5 Speed, 16 valve. 

I just put a new doug thornley header on it and a brand new magnaflow CAT. The car drives great! 
However I failed California smog. The hydrocarbon sniff test read around 90ppm, and the max allowed is around 60. 
I think the car is running rich at idle. If I drive the car for a while and then stop, I dont see any smoke. But if I let it idle for a few minutes, and then give it a bit of gas in neutral, it spits out a little bit of smoke. 

This is what I have done so far:
  • New spark plugs (NGK BKR6E), gapped at .028
  • New dizzy cap and wires
  • New ISC
  • New EGR valve
  • New air filter 
  • Made sure timing is at 5 degrees using a timing light
  • Valve tappet adjustment
  • Checked duty cycle, set at 50% when idling hot
  • New thermostat. ECT sensor reads 300ohms when hot 
  • FUEL PRESSURE TEST: Key on was at 42, and held at around 40 for at least a minute. Idling, I got around 32psi 
  • I checked the continuity of the fuel injector and replaced the o rings etc... 
  • COMPRESSION: did a compression test on a warm engine and I got anywhere between 163-175 on all pistons
  • the check engine light is NOT on
  • Both 02 sensors are less than 6 months old. I backprobed the upstream 02 sensor during idle, and it was fluctuating between 100mV-800mV. Is this normal for it "swing" 
  • Cleaned my MAF. At idle, it shows 2 volts while back probing. If I give it throttle, it goes to 3V
  • EGR VSV and EVAP VSV have correct resistance and "click" when I apply voltage using a battery

I have no idea whats going on. All the other readings from the smog test looked good- the only thing that failed was the high HC at 15mph. 
Like I said, it seems to run rich during idle. 
When I check my spark plugs, the top electrode is kind of white in color, which indicates lean...but I'm running rich. 
What gives? Anything else I should check? 

im currently running penzoil 5W-30. Should I try increasing the weight of the oil just for the smog test? What oil weight do you recommend? 

Thanks for all your help
Sina

Messages In This Thread
Failed Smog due to high HC. Need help! - by sina27 - 05-21-2022, 03:28 AM