Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
89 MT 4x4 Grinding on coast or decel
My 89 Tracker 2Dr 8V (175K miles with orig. MT and TC) has a nasty grind when I let off throttle.

Repairs/mods of note:
-> new Clutch 2018 incl. good Japanese throwout and pilot bearings.  Maybe 2000km on it since (hunting vehicle)
-> new fluids in tranny (GL-4), diff's and transfer case (GL-5) at that time
-> 3" suspension lift with appropriate 1/2" driveline spacer @ rear diff, running 30x9.5 BFG KO2's
-> new universals throughout
-> this vehicle spends 75% of it's driving time in 4x4, likely 50% of that in 4Lo (except when being towed.  When towed, I stop about every 100km to run the vehicle through the gears with the TC in neutral to splash the top bearing)
-> lots of front end weight with bush guard/winch box/winch and also a SnowSport Plow up front when using to push snow (this is an amazing plow set-up, btw)

The symptoms:
-> metallic grind when I let off throttle.  Not clicking or whining.  Grinding!
-> occurs in 2WD and 4WD, and whether hubs are locked or not
-> worst in 5th, much less in 4th (main shaft needle bearings??)
-> disappears when clutch is disengaged (pedal pushed). Hmmm, can't recall if it still grinds coasting in N.  My recollection is that it doesn't.
-> front diff pinion bearing could be starved of lubrication because the lift kit necessitated topping up higher than the fill hole (I inclined the vehicle and filled it as best I could but it wasn't inclined as high as the lift kit supplier recommended)

The diagnosis:     Huh

Feel free to weigh in...

Messages In This Thread
89 MT 4x4 Grinding on coast or decel - by WizBang - 01-02-2022, 07:34 AM