Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When does the distributor need replacement?
I have 300,000 miles on my 96 tracker. I have rough, maybe misfire under certain conditions. In Park I can get it to be rough between 2300-3000 rpm. If I disconnect the o2 Sensor it runs beautifully. With 02 plugged in I have negative average term fuel trim from 4-8% through different loads. I can comfortably do 75 mph at 23-25 mpg according to scan gauge. I’ve done 27mpg on one trip. Engine compression is 170, 170, 190, 190.

The more concerning thing is feeling a minor buckling sensation when on the highway Performance Timing Key, it goes away if I shift into neutral and coast. It’s not bad but just odd. 

Exhaust always smells awful and makes me sick if I smell it too long. I get a few drops of water with black carbon out the back on initial startup, stains my driveway. Also an initial puff of white smoke if I let it sit for more than 7-10 days. I forgot to replace the valve seals when rebuilding the head.

Maintenance done:
- radiator and head shaved, replaced unrepairable valves (15k miles ago)
 - New spark plugs and wires
 - new rotor cap
- new fuel injectors
- new bosh o2 sensors
 - timing belt and crank bolt
 - valve timing (15k miles ago)
 - checked cat converter, seems dead, however no blockage in the honeycomb and light came through all of it. 
 - new EGR valve (because why not)
 - I do get occasional egr 0400 code, but does seem to work normally according to tests on your page. The passages were cleaned 15k miles ago but code has been occasionally setting since then and before.
 - oil Pan gasket (I know not supposed to have one, but I have no codes from that unless I unplug the sensor lol)
 - new used transmission, transfer case, front axle, front differential.

At 300,000 miles would replacing the distributor be worthwhile?

Messages In This Thread
When does the distributor need replacement? - by Samistine - 10-05-2021, 12:00 PM