Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED] Camshaft Position Sensor - Whole assembly or just sensor?
I got code P0340 "Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit, Bank 1 or Single Sensor"

Vehicle: 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4WD 4 Cylinders 2.0L FI DOHC 122 CID, USA model.

What I'm unclear on, is if I need to replace just the sensor...

[Image: CAM-Sensor.jpg]

Or the whole assembly...
[Image: 18630415_a1c_31s7400_alt2_pri_larg.jpg]
Backstory

Got the engine bay detailed to prep for sale. It ran fine prior. It wouldn't start after cleaning. It cranks but not even the slightest chug. Cleaner tells me they covered the head & battery, but nothing else. The cleaner wasn't confident they completely protected the camshaft position sensor. 

Troubleshooting I did...

• Check inside the airbox. It was dry and a bit dusty. No signs of water.
  • Judging from the filth remaining on top of the head, no water got in the coils/plugs.
  • I let the car dry for 2 days.
  • Hosed down the MAF with MAF cleaner and let it dry before reassembly.
  • I pulled every electrical connector I could see, looked for water, sprayed them down with contact cleaner for good measure, let them dry, and reconnected them.
  • I checked every fuse under the driver-side dash and by the battery. All ok.
  • I tried cranking while giving it some starter fluid to give me an idea if it was fuel or spark. No change. 
  • I tested for spark. No spark. 
  • I tried to back probe the camshaft position sensor to see if I was getting anything out of it per these instructions (YouTube) but I couldn't get a paperclip in there. I did pull the sensor portion to see if it looked like water had gotten inside. It was bone dry but the o-ring was a bit suspect. 
  • I borrowed a scan tool. There were no codes at first, but after cranking for 5 seconds it threw up the code I described above (P0340) which confirmed my suspicions about the sensor. 
Does anyone know whether I need to replace the whole assembly or just the sensor?

Thank you for your time,
Seth

Messages In This Thread
[FIXED] Camshaft Position Sensor - Whole assembly or just sensor? - by Seth - 04-12-2021, 10:41 AM