Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High idle, probably broken IAC, questions
Update: IAC is leaking.

I did diagnose this bit differently. I did not want to use clay incase it would get inside my engine it turns real hard when it burns. And I wanted to avoid taking the TB out.

So here was my method. Create a batch "magic play dough" (recipe from near kindergarden).

1 dl = 0.422675284 US cups

1 dl of wheat flour
1/2 dl of salt
1/2 dl of cool or cold water
1 teaspoon of any food oil

Mix 5 minutes and its done. This amount would suffice for about 10-20 IAC ports, but its hard to make very small batch and its cheap.

If dough is too grainy, add water. If its too sticky add flour. If you cant get it not sticky like me add a few droplets more oil.

WARNING: This thing will eventually harden out and you need to hack it out of the port someway if you do not remove it until it dries completely. Tho it will take probably hellishly long to harden when its inside the IAC hole and inside almost tight plastic wrap.

(Original idea for the thingy is that kids can make pots and animals from it and then you can burn it hard in oven bit like you do with clay).

TRY1: Failure

Then I opened the IAC cover and put some magic dough into double layer plastic wrap and suffed the port, closed the cover and startup. 2 minutes ok and then rpm rose -> I shutdown engine. Plastic had failed due to vacuum and very small amount of the dough went to engine.

I removed dough. closed IAC cover in original setting and kept running eninge until white-gray smoke (and strange burning smell ended). IE.. dough burned trough engine. Let it run for quite a while after that to excrete any possible salt (if it had even had time to dry and crystalize as it dissolves in the dough).

TRY2: Success.

1) open IAC cover
2) Line the huge vacuum port with extra strong aluminum tape. After that create 1-2 extra full rounds of alu tape lining.
3) Insert double plastic wrapped dough into the IAC hole
4) close IAC cover with gasket.
5) Start.. idle rpm was 200-300 (by the gauge, which is unreliable at so low). Anyhow apply throttle to keep about 1000rpm until water heats and STAT opens.

And after that it kept running bit waving between 800-1000rpm (my ISC is dead, diagnosed long ago, cant find replacement for the 89/90 thingy).

Anyhow.

What do you suggest for casting the hole shut?

I was thinking I will apply aluminum tape again (to avoid any stuff going into engine) and then either use epoxy glue or chemical metal to block the IAC vacuum suction to TB and let it set for 48 hours or so.

Then I will apply a T-junction with rogue hose and moped's fuel valve into the cabin to have a bleed air valve for cold idle boost.

Messages In This Thread
RE: High idle, probably broken IAC, questions - by jwunsch - 05-15-2021, 03:12 AM