Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and Tracker belt replacement questions
Hi all, I got a 1995 16v 2dr 5spd 4wd Tracker, now the wrenching begins! The Tracker runs and drives but came with un-installed brake parts, alternator, belts, and u-joints. I want to at least get all these parts installed before driving much. I have done some work on motorcycles but not a lot on autos, so please excuse my ignorance.  

The truck was sold at 20,000 miles to an RV person who towed it around until ~160,000 miles. It now has 170,000 miles. The latest owner drove it locally.

Timing belt
Is this belt tensioner correct? Also is there a spacer missing on the adjuster quadrant stud?

The timing belt looks "OK". It is a Dayco brand, but the new looking alternator and steering pump belts are both NAPA and look newer. There is no date written on the belt cover. My best guess is the timing belt has been replaced once, but probably not twice.

Other comments on what I have found
- Removing the skid plate, upper radiator hose, and jacking up the front end made it possible to do this work Smile
- I could not remove all the tension on the power steering belt. The sheave hub hit the mounting bracket. I got the belt off but is this right? It has the correct belt.
- My new  alternator is clocked a little bit differently than the old one. I think the battery wire will reach.
- The steering fluid is very low and there is some seepage/oily dirt around the pump (no obvious leak or drip). There is a bit of end play in the pump, maybe 0.050". I have OCD and figure I ought to go ahead and rebuild the pump. Any reason to think it will last a long time if I don't?

Messages In This Thread
Hello and Tracker belt replacement questions - by dhally - 02-01-2021, 11:39 AM