Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap
So, a little update.

I know it has been a while, but between my father being called on a repair and leaving the country and the j18 blowing a head gasket and university starting it has all been a little overwhelming for me.

My old man fixed the bearings, started it up, the thermostat had stuck closed, by the time he shut it off it had already overheated (we suppose) so it started blowing bubbles inside the coolant. My dad works as a ship mechanic, and he got called on a repair trip, so he left it for me to fix. Being my first time tearing apart an engine by myself, I was a little bit intimidated.

Anyway, I pulled the head off. Took it to a machinist and he said he had to take of 0.06mm off to make it level. It had warped between cyl 2 and 3. The black soot on the top of the cylinder liner where the head gasket should seal confirmed my suspicion that cyl2 was the culprit. After I got it back from the machinist, I put on some new valve seals and polished the valves. I managed to get it back together, with the exception of the valve cover and accessory belt which I didn't have time to install, since I had to go back to university. I hope that I can get it started this weekend.

In the meantime I started to do some research on my project car which is a MK2 Golf GTI in which I will be putting a 16V engine from a MK3 running Speeduino engine management (and turbocharging it down the road). This is off the topic, but I'll get to the point, I promise.

I started doing research on how I'm going to drive my stock MK2 Golf tach when I get rid of the dizzy and go COP.
Then I came across this: https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic...31&t=40365

From my understanding it is just a transistor switched by the PWM tach output of the ECU which then applies and cuts power to the inductor, producing the high voltage that the tach wants to see. I also read that some tachs built for reading off the coil negative also work with simple 12V square wave.

I also came across this video. The guy uses the coil inside the relay to create the high voltage kickback that the tach needs to read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmWk_5G...immyLundin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap - by maroka - 11-28-2020, 06:53 AM