Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap
Hello there!

I am a new member, though I have been on this site for a few months now. The info on here has been a huge help with the swap mentioned above (Baleno J18A into a G16B 97 kick). As you can tell by the title I need help wiring up the tachometer to read the RPM. I tried hooking it up to the RPM output on the ECU, but without luck. After a quick search on here, I found that the tach reads a 50v impulse and the (most likely) 12V signal from the ECU cannot drive it. I even built an arduino circuit utilizing the "tone" code to generate different frequencies, but 12V does not seem to cut it.

I wanted to ask whether the tach takes a square wave or a sine wave input, and whether I can bypass whatever filter it has inside the cluster to use a lower level impulse. Even if the pulse count at set RPM doesn't match up I could build an arduino circuit which I can then calibrate with code to show the correct rpm. It's worth noting that I tried hooking the tach up to the IGN Ground on the ECU but still no luck with that. 

PS: I did an immo delete on that ECU, so if you are interested I can write up a tutorial!

Messages In This Thread
Driving 97 kick tach after J18A engine swap - by maroka - 08-30-2020, 09:39 PM