Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horn does sometimes works, sometimes not
(11-02-2020, 02:22 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 03:59 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 10:05 AM)rasmeidirt Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 01:52 AM)fixkick Wrote: i do not have fuse box photos both, cab nor fender top
id have to look.

Thanks. What I did was to remove the two horns to test with 12v battery, all work!!
Then, going look for fuse.

The horns sometimes work sometimes not!  I want to say sometimes I hear the horn and sometimes I hear only the CLICK when press any switch at the steering.
there you go you heard the click good. !!!!
that tells you the button works and the clock spring too good, in the steering head work (a real pain to replace ) see/?

did you make sure the horn bracket is not rusty, every kick i ever saw the horn bracket was rusty,  and is the ground for the horns.  no ground no horn.

the sidekick ground are horrible, for sure this old.

next is new relay, it just plugs in that relay, easy as pie to replace ,unlike steering head problems.

with the horn dead (testing 1,2,3)
run a jumper wire from battery ground lug (minus) even use std, jumper cables (as in road side jumps)
and then put the other end to the horn bracket, metal , horn works now means bingo bad ground.

The horn base love to rust, here,  its in the  rain and all that. it loves to rust  ,
one more fix is this.
make 16AWG jumper wire, with 2 , RING LUG , crimped or soldered to the ends say 1 foot long
then using sheet metal screw and drill mount one lug to horn bracket,  other in  end to frame. of car body horn mounts to. fixed.

also the horns can RUST  at horn bolt to bracket but both bad same time?. no very likely.

horn bracket body to car frame loves to rust.   cleaning that up ,with wire brush is easy fix;.until next time.
The two horns just stops working again! When I press the two buttons at the steering wheel, they just give me the click and click!!

Probably the steering wheel clock spring is the culprit! Anybody has the partnumbers of that wires?? Or where can I order a new one??
No,
The horn is very simple.

why not use a voltmeter to find this true cause.
the relay is first.
it click this relay, because you pushed the horn button, button passes threw the steering head, clock spirng contact and then to the horn relay
the relay then (energizes) the coil and clicks, then the contacts of this relay sends 12vdc to the horn and it honks.
just  4 parts here comprise a horn, pure electrical , no magic at all.  5 counting wires.  
button, >> clockspring>>>relay>>>, horn,   that is al there is here

the time to fix it is when the horn is bad,  no better time exists and that is failed time,
of you measure the horn in with a voltmeter and is 0 volts while honking we check the relay next, it can be bad, easy.
if i see 12vdc to the horn , while person #2 honks the horn is bad or as I told you, the base of horn is not grounded, due to rust, as they all LOVE TO do.

the horn circuit is here,  the schematic, it is clear how it works, if you will not diagnosis it while failed with a voltmeter that only allows guessing
the horn relay can be bad,.  after all it clicks but the contacts can be burned, and bad. so we replace it,for sure 0vdc at the horn lug.

[Image: inXz9eY.jpg]
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Horn does sometimes works, sometimes not - by fixkick - 11-02-2020, 08:32 PM