Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 tracker 1.9 4x4 clutch will not disengage.
I was driving today and I noticed the shifting got really bad out of nowhere. When I came to stop, I was unable to put the vehicle back in 1st gear to start moving again (or any gear, for that matter). The car goes into all gears just fine with engine off so it has to be clutch related. 

I looked into it and the clutch cable has partially broken (some strands broke, others still intact). I replaced the cable with a spare a friend hand hoping for an easy fix and even with the new cable it will not go into any gear with the engine running. The clutch pedal is also extremely stiff, compared to normal but I can still press it with my foot. I also have the cable adjusted at the transmission end tightened almost as far as it can go. 

I have confirmed the clutch arm is moving (1 inch rule), see video here: https://streamable.com/8afw26

I’m assuming the next step is pull the trans and inspect for some type of internal failure. I really, really hoped this would not be case but I’m not sure what else to check. Is there anything else I should be looking into before I pull the trans.
1998 Chevrolet Tracker, 2 door, 3 speed auto, 4x4

Messages In This Thread
1998 tracker 1.9 4x4 clutch will not disengage. - by Perry - 06-25-2020, 12:53 PM